Denied Attraction Chapter 1

It wasn't one of those rainy days, where the mood was sad and gloomy. It was sunny and everyone was happy. We were coming home from a long day at the beach. The sun still wasn't going to set for another few hours but the winds had picked up slightly and my parents agreed that that was our cue to leave.

As we drove, I turned around in my seat and began to tickle my little brother Tommy. His little giggles made my smile grow even bigger as I grabbed his tiny foot and made movements with my fingers as though I was going to torture him some more. He squealed in his seat and attempted to pull his foot from my grip. I let him go and gave him a kiss on the cheek as he laughed uncontrollably.

"Did you have a nice day, Amelia?" My Mum asked, turning to face me from the front of the car, her freckles slightly darker in colour from staying in the sun too long. She had tied her brown hair into a tight pony tail that still reached to her waist, and no longer wore sunglasses to cover up her light brown eyes.

I smiled and responded. "It was the best."

I caught sight of my Dad's green eyes in the review mirror, and he too was smiling. It has been a long time since we've had the chance to actually be together as one big happy family. My Dad was always working long hours and my Mum was always being called away on business in some other city.

I felt so tired that I rested my head against the seat and slowly my eyes began to close. Just as my surroundings were about to disappear and my mind went into its own little world, I caught a glimpse of a car off to the side. At first I didn't think anything of it but as we neared the cross road, I realized they weren't going to slow down. My Dad noticed this and hit the brakes but it was too little too late.

"DAD!" I screamed in panic as I was thrown forward into the seat. No seatbelt slowing down my motion.

I looked out through the window and watched, frozen in horror, as the car came speeding towards us. There was no sign of them slowing down. The last thing I heard before the collision was my Mum's loud screams as I closed my eyes, praying for a miracle. And then I felt my body get thrown against the window.

I woke up sweaty. My heart felt like it was ready to jump out of my chest. I could feel the tears flowing down my cheeks and my breathing was shaky and my throat felt constricted as small sobs escaped from it. I turned the lamp beside the bed on and walked over to the little bathroom in my hospital room.

I stood in front of the mirror as cold water ran from the tap. I had a long cut running down my hairline on the right side of my face with plenty of bruises where the seatbelt pushed on the side of my neck.

I knew that one memory would haunt me forever. I lost everything that day.