Part 35 ~ Michael's Old Flame

Start from the beginning

I stop the car in Michael's driveway. 

"Listen, sweet cheeks . . . I can't promise you that Michael won't get upset with you . . because you know that he's already very upset . . but what I suggest is that you apologize to him for running out on him at lunch today . . you owe him that apology"

"Ugh . . I guess . . ."

We walk inside. Michael is wide awake sitting on the couch, watching TV. The second he sees me walking in with Casey he reaches for the remote and turns off the TV. He's mad . . he's really mad . . oh boy. 

"Casey!"

I step in front of Casey to keep Michael from going at him. "Honey, I think there's something Casey wants to tell you" I turn around to look at Casey. "Ain't that right, Casey?"

"I guess . . ."

I step away. Michael puts his hands in his pants pockets and waits for Casey to open his mouth. "I'm waiting" Michael says, impatiently rocking back and forth on his feet.

"I'm sorry I ran out on you today at lunch . . but you have no right to treat me like a child"

"I will stop treating you like a child if you stop acting like one!!!"

Oh boy . . this can only get worse. Michael is still very upset and on top of that he's exhausted and not in a very good mood. I want to leave them alone but something tells me to stay around in case something happens. You never know with these two. 

Michael grabs Casey by his arm and tells him to sit down in the living room. I take a seat across the living room . . just to observe. 

"Why didn't you go to school this afternoon, huh? . . what were you and that stupid Russian guy doing that was so important and necessary to skip school?!"

"Michael . . this is my problem . . and not yours"

"This is where you're wrong, Casey! . . it is my problem! . . you're my brother . . I don't want you to miss school!"

"Why do you always have to act like a damn teacher?!!"

"I AM a teacher!"

"Well, I am your brother and not your student! . . why can't you ever treat me like one?!!"

"I want you to tell me why you didn't go to school this afternoon . . what did you and that guy do??"

"NOTHING!!!"

"Yea, right . . . tell me, Casey!"

. . . . .

"We had a smoke, ok? . . a simple, harmless smoke, there you go! are you happy now?!!"

"Umm . . no, not really!! you are smoking weed now, huh?"

"Yea, every once in a while . . . it's no big deal, Michael! lots of people my age do it!"

"What else, Casey? . . what else did you take?!"

". . . nothing . . . that's it . . I only smoked weed"

"Somehow I don't believe you"

"Michael, I'm tired . . I wanna go to bed"

"Why did you even come, Casey?!"

Casey looks at me . . I look at him. I get up from the chair and walk over to Michael and him. "Umm . . I picked him up . . I wanted him to sleep here tonight . . because . . you guys need to talk and sort things out"

"Oh, so you're staying the night here?" Michael asks, giving Casey a mean stare. "Yea . . if you don't mind" Casey answers with his head lowered.

"Whatever . . just get out of my face!" Michael says, sounding very insensitive.