Part 29 ~ Love & Lies

~ Zaira's point of view ~

Dad and I sit down on the bed . .
he puts his hands on my face and wipes my tears away. .

I was so shocked when I looked up and saw my dad standing there! . . I never thought that I would see him while mom and I are here in New York . . . . it's all I secretly wanted but mom always makes such a big deal about it. Mom and dad don't get along so well . . . actually, they straight up hate each other. . . I don't understand why . . . why can't they just get along? . . whenever they talk on the phone, (which doesn't happen very often) they fight like crazy . . . . I know that they don't love each other anymore but can't they at least talk to each other like normal human beings? . . .

I hate that my dad lives so far away from me . . . but he explained to me that just because he lives far away, doesn't mean he doesn't love me . . . he always says no matter how far apart you are from the ones you love, when you think about them and carry them in your heart, they're always with you. . . . but it's not the same as hugging him. . . . my dad is the best dad in the world. Even though I'm not little anymore, I cry every time I see him. . . . I just love him so much.

"I missed you too, sweetheart!"

"Dad, how did you know I was here?"

"I talked to your mom . . . . but let's not talk about that . . how have you been? how is school going for you? are you enjoying school?"

"Yes, I like school . . . I'm one of the best students"

"I'm not surprised . . . you're my little girl" . . . *coughs*

"Dad . . . are you sick? . . . you don't look so good . . ."

"Actually, yes I am . . but it's ok . . don't worry . . . sweetheart, your hair has grown so much and wow, I like your new necklaces . . . do they all have a special meaning?"

"I have two . . . no . . actually three . . . one is for my best friend Lizzy in Washington . . we go to school together . . . that necklace is for our friendship, you know . . it's a sun . . she's got one half and I have the other one . . . and this necklace here is for mom . . . she loves butterflies . . . . and this one is for you, dad, it's a little penguin because that's your favorite animal and it always reminds me of you"

"That's incredibly sweet"

Dad takes me in his arms and gives me a big kiss on my forehead.

"Your 10th birthday is coming up and we haven't had the chance to talk about what you wish for . . . is there something special you want me to surprise you with?"

I wrap my arms around him. "I want you to spend more time with me. . . every day"

"Sweetheart . . . . . I would LOVE that but I can't fly to Washington every day :( . . . but you know what? while you and mom are here, you can tell me where you wanna go and I will take you there, ok? . . whatever it is, wherever it is . . we'll go there :) . . daddy-daugther day! . . just you and me! . . what do you say?"

"That sounds great, dad!!! :)"

"Perfect . . . where do you wanna go?"

"I wanna go horseback riding!! that would be so amazing!!"

"Alright :) . . we'll do that!"

"YAAY! . . that's so great, I can't wait! . . thank you so much dad!!!!"

"You're very welcome! . . . hey, you wanna see grandma and grandpa?"

"YES!!! . . . but wait . . . mom doesn't want me to see them :("

"Listen, Zaira . . just because your mom and grandma don't get along, doesn't mean you can't see her . . . grandma and grandpa love you very, very much . . . you know that, right?"