Chapter 12

And I'd choose you;
In a hundred lifetimes,
In a hundred worlds,
In any version of reality,
I'd find you and,
I'd choose you

-The Chaos of Stars

××Playlist××

'Gavin! Gavin!' Mrs Pitt, the librarian was literally running after him at this point. Her mousy brown hair was the definition of a bird's nest and her glasses sat askew on her face.

'Gavin!' She finally caught up to him and his friends in the crowded school hallway.

Gavin frowned. 'Mrs Pitt?' Surprise coloured his tone.

'What are you doing here?' He asked after sharing a confused look with Tom and Leo. I smiled because I already knew why she was here.

'Oh thank heavens. Do you know you walk really fast? Being on the football team helps with that I guess. You know most of the players most be quite agile. You don't even look like you're exerting yourself.' She gushed, panting hard.

Leo snickered.

'And you came all the way here to tell me that?' Gavin raised an eyebrow.

'Yes. I mean no! No.' She answered.

Gavin glanced at Tom who shrugged in response.

'Don't look at me.' Tom said.

'Why are you here Mrs Pitt?' Gavin asked.

'Right! I came because I need your help. Not specifically your help but I need help. The library needs help. As much of it as possible.' Mrs Pitt said.

Gavin sighed. 'And you came to me because?'

'Well, you helped before so I was hoping you wouldn't mind chipping in. Again.' She said. My grin was as wide as the Cheshire cat's. Gavin glared at me. The this-is-all-your-fault was loudly implied in his glare.

'I would mind actually. I have football practice.'

'Oh yes! I know but I could talk to coach on your behalf. The principal is giving this priority over everything else.'

'Mrs Pitt, I really really can't....'

'You're going to say yes.' I glared at him.

His eyes yelled, no way! at me.

'Yes way. You're doing it and you're going to ask Leo, Tom and the rest of the team to help out as well.'

One long heated glare-off later.

'Of course Mrs Pitt. I would love to help.' Gavin muttered. Tom and Leo chuckled and playfully shoved him.  'And I'm sure Tom and Leo would love to help as well.'

'What?' Tom gaped.

'Dude!' Leo protested. Gavin smirked.

'Great! I will speak to coach on behalf of the three of you.' Mrs Pitt beamed and walked away.

'Dude!' Leo repeated and slapped Gavin's arm for emphasis.

'What the... Why?' Tom asked.

'Well you guys weren't going to let me do that alone.' Gavin said.

Yeah we were!' Leo chimed in.

'You know we were.' Tom added.

'Well, now you aren't.' Gavin smirked. Leo narrowed his eyes. Tom lightly punched his arm.

'You owe us.' He stated before walking away.

'Tom's right.' Leo added before walking away too.

'Are they mad at you?' I asked.