Off to Neverland (41)

Začať od začiatku

“You never said you were breaking up with me, Ivy,” Jack now informed me, his tone still icy and cold.

“Well, I did,” I growled. “I broke up with you. And if you didn’t understand it the first time, I’ll say it again. I’m breaking up with you.”

“Why would you even kiss Simon?” Jack now asked, and I didn’t know if he was ignoring what I had said or just chose not to answer it. “I thought you were upset about what happened at the party. Did you get over it that quickly?”

“Simon’s been in love with me ever since we were kids, Jack,” I informed him nastily, wanting to slam the phone and just hang up on him so I didn’t have to deal with him any longer. “He asked me to kiss him once and I did. I don’t feel anything more than friendship with him. I never have!”

“Liar,” he spat.

“I wasn’t the liar in our relationship, Jack,” I reminded him harshly now. “You were.”

This shut him up, and both of us just stayed on the phone, neither of us even saying anything. He knew I was right; he knew that he had been the liar. I didn’t like Simon the way he liked me, and if I had still been dating Jack, I wouldn’t have kissed him. But Jack had been dating me, saying that he loved me more than anyone, when he really loved Emma.

Jacky,” I heard a whiny voice say in the background on the other line, and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. All I knew was that this voice wasn’t Emma’s, but I was glad when I realized that it wasn’t Courtney either. “Are you really just going to leave me alone in there?”

I swallowed, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I couldn’t believe I had wasted my time, my love, on someone like this.

“You should go, Jacky,” I advised mockingly, hoping that he wouldn’t hear how bad I wanted to cry. “Someone seems to need you.”

“Ivy—” he started, but I hung up before he could finish by slamming the phone back down onto the receiver. I stood there for a while, my hand gripping the phone and receiver as I tried to stop myself from crying.

I loved him so much. Everything that been so great between us, and now everything was absolutely horrible. There was no way we could have ever gone back to the way we were, no matter how hard we tried.

When the phone rang again, I picked it up and pressed it to my ear, pretty much shouting, “What do you want?”

“Whoa, Ivy,” a familiar voice now said, and it wasn’t Jack’s. “Is something up?”

I was breathing heavily, trying to think of what I was supposed to say to Terra. She didn’t know about what had happened with Jack because I hadn’t spoken to her since before everything had happened… And since my phone was broken, she couldn’t reach me on that.

“I tried calling you on your cell phone, but it keeps saying that it’s unavailable,” Terra now informed me, and I smiled wryly at the memory of me smashing the stupid thing against the ground.

“Yeah, well… I kind of broke it,” I excused, as if it was no big deal at all.

“You broke it?” Terra asked, as if she didn’t understand. “On purpose or on accident?”

I almost laughed at her question. I was probably the only person she knew who would actually break a cell phone on purpose…

“On purpose,” I shrugged, now trying to act as if it wasn’t a big deal at all. The phone was now long gone, probably in a dump somewhere far away from me. That was what I really wanted. “And before you ask why, let me tell you that I don’t want to explain it over the phone.”