One

I chuckled as I ran alongside Solomon, my speed far greater than his as I passed him up as we ran through the trees.

We've known each other since we were kids, growing up knowing we'd both be Alpha's to our packs one day. That one thing we had in common gave us a connection that not many people understood and he was my best friend.

I slowed as we reached my parents house, my father Kieran and Solomon's father being his senior, Solomon, stood outside with grins as they saw me approach far ahead of Solomon.

"Too slow, SJ!" I yelled at him as he came up.

"You'll both be great Alpha's soon enough. And maybe mates too." Solomon suggested.

"Dad." SJ growled at his father. 

"Come on, you can cook me something for lunch since you lost. Again." I said trying my best to ignore my fathers stare.

Solomon sighed, thanking me as we walked, my brother James running up to us so we could all take a much needed break at my house. They had been softly hinting at a union between the two of us for years, but the hints were becoming a lot less subtle the older we grew. My house was a little ways from the rest of the pack houses and I preferred it that way. I liked being alone for the most part.

"When are you going to tell him?" I asked Solomon as soon as we got inside.

"I can't just tell my Dad, Will. Do you know how often he talks about you? He swears we like each other." Solomon said. We both snorted at the thought, chuckling at the abstract idea.

I smiled at the sight of my cousin Lily on the couch.

"How did you get in here?" I asked, chuckling when she pointed to the window.

I watched silently as James walked with Solomon to the kitchen, hand in hand as they discussed what to make for lunch.

James told me he was gay when he was fourteen and our family has always supported him, but when I walked in on Solomon and James enjoying each other's company on my couch, I couldn't believe I hadn't realized they were together sooner. The way they looked at each other. I hadn't even known Solomon was gay the entire time. I felt horrible for not being there for him or for him to feel comfortable enough to tell me, but now we were a family. He was shy, but he was mostly worried about his father and I hated how toxic masculinity could be at times, especially amongst our people. As a female shifted, I was all too familiar with that song and dance, so I vowed to make my home a safe space.

I growled when Lily threw a pillow at my head.

"You're always zoning out and shit." She said.

I picked the pillow up and she squealed, darting into the kitchen.

"You literally have no food besides a two month old thing of oatmeal, sis. What do you even eat?" James asked me.

"Takeout or pizza." I said with a grin.

"We're going to the store to get some groceries. If I'm going to beat you, it's going to be you in perfect health and fair and square." Solomon said, grabbing the keys to my jeep and heading out the door.

I chuckled as I got in the backseat, listening to blasting music the whole hour drive it took us to get to town.

I got out the car, a gust of wind coming my way and familiar scents hitting my nose which had me  spinning around quickly.