A New Look

“We’re hanging at Jared’s tomorrow. There’s going to be cake.” Peter says, lounging on his couch, scrolling through something on his phone. It’s a three day weekend, so we don’t have school on Monday, which is tomorrow.

“Where there’s cake, I’m there. Sam’s birthday, right?” Peter nods and Trina emerges from her room. “What happened?” I scream. Peter looks at her and giggles really loudly, falling over himself to get his camera open.

“What?” Trina asks.

“Your hair is black! And you’re wearing flip flops and your holes don’t have jeans in them, I mean, you know what I mean! And you’re wearing hoop earrings! You look normal!” I screech.

Trina turns in a circle. “Do you like it?”

“This is awesome. Did you show Jared?” Peter says, his camera going crazy.

“Jared’s not here, so no, I haven’t shown him. He’s making a cake for his brother.” She says, putting her hands on her hips.

“I sent him a picture. He is not happy.”

“So I hear.” She grumbles, obviously talking about whatever he’s screaming in her head. “I needed a new look.”

“But we like your old look.” I say.

“Well, I don’t care about you guys. I like my new look.”

“How are we supposed to find you in a crowd?” Peter asks.

“You can call my name like a normal person.” Trina grumbles. “Why don’t you guys like it?”

“I like it.” I say. “It’s just different. But, I promise that I like it.” She glares at me, and Peter is now silent.

“Dare?” She asks, trying to make up with him.

“Eat a raw egg.” He says. She goes into the kitchen and returns a moment later with a raw egg in a cup. She drinks it whole and I gag, leaning over the edge of the couch, and pretending to die.

“Charlie, truth or dare?” Peter asks.

“Truth.”

“You’re no fun! You always pick truth! Pick dare!”

“Fine. Dare, Peter.”

“Go to prom with me.”

“What?”

“It’s a dare, you must do it, and you are going to prom with me.” He says matter-of-factly. Trina has her mouth open in shock. “Now we both have dates to prom.” He goes back to scrolling on his phone.

“Wow. You and Peter, going to prom.” She says excitedly.

“We’re not dating. Get over yourself. It’s a dare, and one that I’m not excited about.”

“Do you want to go shopping for dresses?” Trina says.

“How about no. Christy owns dresses.”

“No. We are going. Come on.” She drags me out of the room. I shoot a helpless glance at Peter, who doesn’t look at me. He just keeps typing and scrolling on his phone like he could care less.

---

“Start perusing.” Trina says, leading me over to the nearest rack of dresses.

“Let’s look for a dress for you.”

“I have one. It matches my new hair.”

“Then why did we even come here!?!” I shout.

“To get a dress for you. What size are you?” She looks at me and then starts pulling out dresses. “Fine. If you won’t peruse, I’ll pick some out and you can try them on. Go sit.” She says, pointing to a nearby chair and handing me her purse. I grumble to myself and start playing Candy Crush on my phone. A couple minutes later, she snatches my phone out of my hand and puts it in her bra. “Now try all of these on.” She says, walking into a dressing room.