A Fiery Funeral

“You look nice.” Dad says when I come downstairs, wearing one of Christy’s black dresses. Which I think is ironic since I’m going to her funeral. He’s wearing a nicely pressed suit, and Mom is standing behind him, wearing a black skirt and a dark colored shirt to match it. We’re all driving over together.

“Thanks, Dad.” I say and push my hair behind my ear.

“You should have put your hair up.” Mom says, pacing the kitchen as I walk downstairs.

“Christy liked my hair down. It’s for her.” I say, slipping my black flats on.

“Well, I like your hair down too.” Dad smiles and kisses the top of my head. I blush.

“It’s now or never.” Mom says like we’re going into the war, and then she opens the door. I step onto the porch and walk down the walkway to the car. The whole school knows about the funeral, so it’s hardly been a secret, so I know that everyone is going to show up.

After a short drive, I find out that half the school has shown up to the church, and a good hour early, if that. The second I walk in, I see that green flash of hair that belongs to Trina sitting in the third row back. “What are you guys doing here?” I hiss at the wolves.

“I’m paying my respects.” Peter says, leaning forward so that he can see me without taking of his hood and revealing his bruises. My eyes narrow, but he doesn’t break eye contact.

“Who’s this?” Dad asks, sliding in on the opposite side of Jared, who’s holding Trina’s hand.

“Meet Peter. Christy’s last boyfriend.” I say, sitting next to the man in question. I notice that my mother is sitting across the room next to some relatives that I don’t recognize, almost as far away from Dad as she could get. “And these are his friends. Jared, and you’ve met Trina.” My dad nods and extends his hand to Peter, who sits up and shakes it.

They start to speak in low voices, heads close together even though they are crossing over Jared’s lap. And Trina’s. Trina then separates herself from Jared and turns to me over Peter’s lap. “Sabrina sends her love. She wanted to come, but she’s still feeling ill.”

I nod and fall silent, twiddling with the hem of my dress. “Wait, hasn’t it been like two weeks?”

“The flu. Hey, how come you haven’t said anything at school when I waved at you? I did it so many times. Afraid of me or something?”

“After that truth or dare game I witnessed, I am very scared of you.” I say, crossing my arms so that my palms will stop sweating. Trina laughs and sticks her tongue out.

“We don’t play truth or dare that often, so you don’t have to be embarrassed of us. But I swear, I’m not really that scary.”

“Your appearance begs to differ, Trina. I’m pretty sure the freshman are scared of you.” I say, gesturing to her ripped up jeans, combat boots, wild colored hair, and spike earrings.

“Those fresh men better be scared of me! Man, they are whiny little snots!” Even Jared laughs as she turns red and clenches her fists, imagining killing some of those “fresh men”, probably.

The lights dim and we all sit upright into our seats, facing forward. The room goes silent, the only noise is the swaying of the drapes along the many windows. The grief hits again and I reach for Trina’s hand, squeezing it and holding on tight. My stomach rolls and now I’m wishing that I hasn’t skipped breakfast, because this is shaping up to be one long funeral.

---

“Do you want to come get lunch with us?” Jared says, squatting down at the end of the pew so that I’ll look at him.

I look up at him and use the edge of my cardigan to wipe my eyes and nose. I make a mental note to wash this as soon as I walk through the door. “Yeah. I’ll go. Let me tell my mom.” I stand and pull the hem of my dress down, moving to the back of the room where my mom is on the receiving end of an avalanche of hugs.

“Charlie Neal!” Serena screeches, and I spin around to see her. She’s wearing her angry face again. “You didn’t even come sit with me!”

“I was sitting with my sister’s boyfriend and my father.”

“You should stay away from those kids! You haven’t stopped talking about them all week and they are bad news! They skip school and smoke and you’re better than that, Charlie!” She exclaims.

“You’re judging a book by its cover! Now, I have to talk to my mother! I’ll see you at school on Monday!”

“If you start acting like them I’m not going to be your friend anymore.” I halt in my tracks, but I don’t look back at her, I tap my mother of the shoulder and pull her away from the avalanche.

“I’m going out with some friends for lunch.” I tell her. She nods and I step outside to the parking lot, where Jared’s car is pulled up to the curb. I slide in the backseat next to Peter.

“Where do you guys want to go?” Trina asks.

“Please, any place that doesn’t serve milkshakes.” Jared begs and Peter laughs.

“I’ll pay. We can go to that sandwich place by the school.” He offers.

“No, that place closed.” Trina says.

“Applebee’s." Jared says as we drive past it.

“Sounds good.” Peter remarks and Trina and I nod. Jared flips around and pulls into the parking lot. We get a booth seat, and I’m stuck in the middle with Trina while the boys are on the outside.

“Dare.” Jared says while we’re eating. None of us have spoken since we agreed on where to go. I’m already in a somber mood, and Peter hasn’t been that talkative since he came back, but this not talking thing must be really hard for Jared and Trina.

“I promised Charlie that we didn’t do this as often as we do.” Trina says, looking annoyed.

“We don’t eat at a restaurant often. So, I pick dare.” Jared says indignantly.

“And no kissing people.” Trina says, putting her pointer finger on Jared’s lips.

“Fine.” Peter says, looking around. “Pull the fire alarm.” My eyes go wide with shock, but Jared’s light up with amusement. He darts into the kitchen and Peter stands, headed for the door. Trina follows him, so I follow her.

And then the fire alarm goes off.