Nehmo And That Guy Named Mike

-------
This is one of my favorite chapters because Ricky is so awesome in this one!

Dedicated to KitE7kitE7 who's been here since day one!
--------

“Okay, you better be listening to this!!!” Ricky screams, standing on the hood of a fading rusty red truck, holding a megaphone. We’re currently parked in the parking lot of “Alpha Security – For all your safety needs!” At least, that’s what the sign I’m staring at says.

Sam’s sitting in the bed of the truck with me, and Sabrina’s standing by the front doors, holding a printed out file in her hands.

And, crowded around the truck, are a couple burly looking guys, who Sam tells me are some of his dad’s shadier wolf friends. They are our backup, just in case the plan fails, which Ricky is really hoping for, and his duffle bag is sitting just a couple feet away, just in case. But, my plan has a solid 95% good outcome rate. Put in a not so nerdy way, it’s foolproof.

“We want them back, and yeah! You know who we’re talking about! Peter Richardson, Trina Cambel, and Jared Mikelson! My son!” He adds that last part as an afterthought, hopefully thinking that sympathy will be on his side. “We’ve got the girl they told with us! And we have a legal loophole! Yeah, we loopholed your –“I cover Sam’s ears and he laughs, giving me a look that says, I’ve heard those kind of words before, Charlie.

There’s a loud screeching noise and I scream, falling to the truck floor, writhing and covering my ears. It doesn’t seem to have affected the wolves though, but there’s a sharp pained non-stopping scream in the distance, and I can only guess that’s Sabrina.

“Hey, knock that off!” Ricky screams. The noise stops, and the only sound now is the sound of my sobs. Sam puts a hand on my back, kneeling next to me, trying to comfort me, but all I can hear is the ringing in my ears and the distant sound of me crying.

Ricky hops back here, and helps me sit up. “I need to kill someone.” He hisses, and that’s how I know my hearing is slowly returning.

A P.A. system clicks on, and a women’s voice, smooth and calm, speaks. “What are you doing here, Mikelson?”

“I thought I made that pretty clear!” He screeches through the megaphone at her. “And I’m glad they sent you out here to negotiate, Nehmo, because I really didn’t want to talk to your lackeys. Especially Mike. Yeah, tell Mike to go –“Sam covers my ears this time, and cradles my head in his lap.

“What loophole? I wasn’t aware of anything.” Nehmo says, voice turning bitter.

“Well, you would know if you hadn’t tried to kill Sabrina!” Ricky says.

“I’ll send someone out to grab that paper she was holding. Call off your guys. I don’t want Mike dying.”

“If you send Mike out here, he is not going back inside a whole man.”

“Fine. I’ll send someone else. How about Peter? Someone go get Peter!” She yells, turning away, her voice growing fainter. I sit up, touching my ears. No. I look around the edge of the truck and see Sabrina, unconscious, blood streaming out of the ear I can see. She’s closer to the speaker than I was.

“They can’t let him see that!” I sob.

“Alpha’s weird. Pretty soon, they’ll be sending a team out to get you. Hey, guys, cover the truck more.” The burly guys tighten their formations around the truck.

I sit there, Sam watching next to me. He looks strained, like he’s trying to hear what’s going on in the building. But, eventually, he collapses against the truck side, looking at Sabrina with me. I don’t know what the effect of that screeching noise was – maybe to figure out which one of us were human? But then again, Ricky did say girl, and I think they already have some experience with Sabrina, and I’m the only other girl in this parking lot.

I’m thinking about how long of a day it’s been now. I woke up in the hospital, my sister died, I drugged my dad, and now I’ve waged war against Alpha to get back my family. At this point, I could totally use a nap, but I know I can’t, because, how could I fall asleep with all of this tension in the air? I have to see what happens next. It’s like watching a good movie with some buttery popcorn. Oh, now I’m thinking about food again.

The intercom clicks on, and I tense, hands flying up to my ears, but it’s Nehmo talking again. “You guys should have just told us!” She laughs nervously. “Well, this was fun. Sorry for all the pain we caused you. I’ll send a check in the mail for all those troubles. Stay out of trouble, Ricky.” The intercom clicks off and I look at Ricky, who looks as confused as I feel.

I look towards the doors, where Sabrina is stirring. Some of the guys finally go and grab her. “Take her to my house.” Ricky says, and several of the guys get into a small car with Sabrina and drive away. There’s the sound of Ricky sliding down the hood of the truck, and then the slap of his feet against the pavement. “Jared!” I hear him yell, and I hop out of the truck, Sam speeding past me to hug his brother.

I can finally see what’s going on now. Jared, Trina, and Peter are walking out of the building. Peter’s got his head down, the hood of a gray sweater on. Jared and Trina are looking confused. While the boys attack Jared with hugs, she walks up to me. “How’d you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Get us out of there?”

“I’m not entirely sure that we did that. Come on. We have to get back to Jared’s house. Sabrina was not looking so good when she left a couple minutes ago.”

“What did they do to my mom?!?” Peter roars, flying towards me. I take a step back.

“There was this loud screeching noise, and she was closer to the speaker than I was, so she passed out. I can still hear the ringing in my ears. Peter, I don’t know what happened, so lay off, alright? I’ve had too much of a day already and I could use a nap.” When I look up at him, he’s still looking down.

“Yeah, yeah.”

“We’re going to get milkshakes!!!” Ricky hoots happily, ignoring the elephant in the room.

What convinced Nehmo to let them out?

-------
Conspiracy time?
Comment your theories on wht Nehmo let them out!
And as always, read, vote, comment, and share!