Truth Or Dare

“Wow, you don’t look good.” Trina says when I open the door the next day. I’m standing there in my pajamas, holding a box of doughnuts that my dad just came back from the bakery with.

“It was a long night.” I say, and lean against the doorjamb.

“Well, you should get dressed because we have to go buy a cake.”

“I thought Jared was making one.”

“Jared’s being a butthole, so we’re just going to go find one. Sabrina would have made one, but she’s not feeling good.” Trina says, tapping her combat boot against the siding on the house.

“Oh.” I respond. “Well, I don’t think I should go. I have to eat these doughnuts, and that may take up most of the day. And I already started rereading Harry Potter, so just tell Peter I said Happy Birthday.”

Trina looks at me and grabs a doughnut out of the box. “So, where do you want to go to buy him a present? I was going to buy it last weekend, but I was in jail, so now I’m pressed for time.”

”Trina, I’m not going with you today. I need to be alone.”

“Nobody should ever be alone. Come on. We’re going to go party. And Peter is letting me pick what kind of soda I can buy.”

I pick up a lemon doughnut and take a bite out of it, letting the powder cover my cheeks. Trina purses her lips and takes another bite of her doughnut. “I’m not going. My dad would never let me.”

“So drug him again.”

“That was a onetime thing!” I laugh, letting her inside. She shuts the door and takes a seat at the table in the kitchen, which is hardly ever used. I sit across from her, handing her a paper towel for her face.

“I will sit here until you go get dressed. Just tell your dad that you’re going to a vigil or something.”

“A vigil?”

“Yeah. It’s this thing they do for dead people, and there are candles, and singing, and it’s like a big shrine to the person who died.”

“I know what a vigil is. I just don’t think any of her friends are that dedicated.”

“Have you never lied to your parents? They’ll believe anything.”

“I have never had to lie to my parents, because they are divorced and I see my mother once a month. But my dad knows that I’m better than Christy. I’m not lying to him then.”

“Tell him the truth then. You’re going to a birthday party for your dead sister’s boyfriend.” I raise my eyebrows at her and take another bite of doughnut. “I told you, I’m sitting here until you come with me.”

“Fine. To shut you up, I will go.” I grumble, going upstairs to Mom’s room. Dad is sitting on the bed, looking at some of the picture books that I left scattered around the house yesterday.

“Hey, Charlie.” He says, wiping his eyes and turning away.

“Dad, it’s fine. It doesn’t matter if I see you cry. I’m just your daughter.” He shrugs his shoulders and hugs me tightly.

“Never be like your sister. Never do anything dangerous.”

“Okay. Dad, Christy’s boyfriend, Peter, it’s his birthday. And he wanted me to be there today.”

“I understand.” He says, not letting go of me. “Will there be adults there?”

“Yeah.” If you can count Ricky as an adult. The thought almost makes me laugh. “Trina’s taking me. She’s downstairs. We’re kind of friends. She’s close with Peter.” I say.