Chapter 25: Little things

Cara

Small, unimportant things. Like saying hello to someone you know, for example. Or seeing the first shine of sun after a week of rain. These small things matter. They can either make your day or destroy it.

But why do they matter so much? Why can they change your mood, or the way you see things? Why do they make you feel so many things at once? Why do they hurt so much?

The other day me and Kendall went to a café near her home. It was a very sunny Saturday, and she was very relaxed. Most days she is stressed out and tensed, and she becomes rude every now and then, but that Saturday was different.

Saturday

"Why do you even wanna go out?" I ask Kendall as I put on my sweater and sunglasses.

She smirks and checks herself in the mirror.

"I just feel like we're staying inside too much, plus today is a sunny day. And it's time for me to go home."

I feel pain in my heart at the thought of her going back home today as she has spent four nights at my place.

"I've gotten so used to sharing my bed with you that falling asleep without you in my arms will be difficult," I say with saddness in my voice.

Kendall makes a sad face and kisses my cheek gently.

"We'll be seeing each other soon, don't worry," she says and I get up from the bed.

I walk up to her and cup her cheeks. I lean in and give her a gentle peck on lips and she smiles withnin the kiss.

"Shall we?" I ask her and she slips her hand down my arm and intertwins our fingers.

"We shall."

"You're letting me hold your hand?" I asked surprised.

Kendall just smiles mysteriously and grips my hand tighter. I'm taken back by surprise and suddenly stop walking.

"What? I'm yours, and you're mine, right? I think the world deserves to know who they shouldn't hit on," she says and pulls me behind her.

She never lets me hold her hand in public, and surely wouldn't let me kiss her, but today is different. If my memory isn't lying, she'd always push me away and request me not to act like her girlfriend in public.

"What drugs are you on?" I ask her and she just laughs.

"Love," she answers with a smile on her face.

I had always known she's the kind of person who can't stand someone touching her, she never liked physical contact. She never liked crowded areas and hates it when she's on a bus full of people as she can't breathe. One day she told me she even gets anxious when unknown people are around her. But with me, it's different. She's calm, almost too calm, and I could almost say she needs physical contact from me. Like she feels my love for her only by my touch. Like she never wants to let go.

I just smile at her statement and follow her to the café. I sit across from her so I have full view of her.

"You look beautiful on the sun," she says and I blush a little bit.

"I love the way your eyes light on the sun," I tell her back.

She puts her hand on mine and stares in my eyes.

"I love you. You know that, right?" She says and a smile instantly forms on my lips.

My eyes travel from her eyes to her perfectly shaped pink lips and down her beautiful neck to her undeniably perfect outfit.

"I love you, too. So much."

She slowly leans in and kisses me gently, but with so much passion and love mixed up together.

Present day

Up until then, everything was perfect. We would talk and laugh and flirt, and even kiss every now and then. It was almost too good to be true. It was too good to be true.

About an hour later a woman in her 30s walked in the café and immediately caught Kendall's attention. As she passed us, Kendall couldn't stop looking at her, and as she sat next to a woman her age, Kendall wouldn't stop turning around.

Saturday

So I got curious who this woman was. Kendall won't stop checking her out, although she was sitting on the other side of the café.

She had dark brown hair that were falling on her slim shoulders, she was taller than me, but not much, and she had barely visible wrinkles on the sides of her eyes and lips from smiling.

"Kendall? Hello?" I wave a hand in front of her face.

She turns her attention to me and only shakes her head gently.

"I'm sorry. I got caught up in my mind."

I raise my eyebrow at her and she gives me a confused look.

"What?" She asks surprised.

"Kendall, who's this woman you've been staring at for the past 5 minutes?"

Kendall opens her mouth to answer but remains silent. Then she closes them, and opens them again after a few seconds, and this time she speaks up.

"I mistakened her for someone. Sorry. What were you saying?"

From this point on, we spoke about everything. She sipped her coffee every now and then, so beautifully, it made me fall in love again.

But there was still that feeling.

I felt her mind slip away to the woman in the cáfè and her eyes would travel everywhere, just to catch a glimpse of what the woman was saying, or doing.

Suddenly, the woman got up and started walking towards the exit, which means she was approaching us.

Kendall light a cigarette up, and didn't notice the woman leaving, as her back was facing her.

"Look, your lady is leaving," I mess with Kendall and she turns around.

They made eye-contact.

And the woman smiled at Kendall.

You know, not that type of a smile that says 'haha, I caught you staring', but the type saying 'well, hello there beautiful'.

I glare at the woman but she doesn't even notice my presence.

Before I could realize, the woman was standing by our table.

"Aren't you... Kendall? Right?" She asks. Her voice was a tone higher than I'd expect from a woman her age, and a bit too happy about seeing Kendall here.

"Yeah, you're the neighbour with the black Audi A4, right?" Kendall smiles back at her.

"Yes, that's right. That would be me. I'm Alessia," she says and shakes Kendall's hand as she says her name.

In all this time she hadn't even noticed me once.

"Oh, I'm sorry. This is my girlfriend Cara," Kendall finally says after Alessia has turned her eyes to me like she was trying to ask who I was.

"Hey, nice to meet you, I'm Alessia," she smiles at me and shakes my hand too.

Present

And she was polite. Almost too polite. The sparkles inside her eyes made me uncomfortable.

The neighbour with the black Audi A4.

Kendall's knowledge about cars fascinated me everytime.

And my mind was running around and around that very moment Alessia came to our table.

Like she light up something.

Like she made little things matter.