Ch. 17 : Pein's Attack

A few weeks later Shikamaru and Ray were at the barbeque place, "I wonder when Naruto is going to get back" Shikamaru mentioned blandly, "I'm not sure, hopefully soon" she shrugged, "why do you say that?" Shikamaru leaned forward resting on his hand lazily. "It feels like something big is coming" Ray paused as she flipped over pieces of meat on the grill, Shikamaru didn't feel the need to respond he had felt it to. Kiba then came up to the table, "Hey" he rubbed the back of his head, "what do you want Kiba" Shikamaru rose from his lazy position, 'tense much' Ray thought noticing the change in his body language. "Look Ray," he forced his hands in his pockets "yes" she turned her attention from Shikamaru to him, "I wanted to say sorry, I didn't mean to...you know..." his cheeks formed a shade of pink, "force yourself on me" Ray leaned her head on her hand, her elbow resting on the table. "Yea, I... I'm sorry" he relaxed a bit, almost as if the weight of his guilt had left him. "Look its fine, I knew you were too stupid to realize anything" she laughed, "hey, why did you have to go and call me stupid" he held his fist up in protest. "Calm down" Shikamaru waved him away, "I suppose I'll see yall later" he waved as he left. "Why so angry" Ray poked at her food laughing, Shikamaru sighed, "it's just a drag" Ray laughed once more. "So, you want to go star gazing after this?" Ray changed the subject, realizing she wasn't going to get anything of substance from him. "It's already getting late though we should probably get some rest" Shikamaru protested, "well we will just sleep as we stargaze" Ray joked, Shikamaru's cheeks grew a shade of pink making Ray realize what she had suggested was slightly inappropriate, "oh, well I just mean that..." she rubbed the back of her head. "Never mind" she looked away as she began to blush as well, "come on" he stood up as he lay some money on the table to cover the bill, "wait I can pay for myself" she began to pull money out of her pocket. "Don't worry about it you can get it next time" Shikamaru waved his hand in protest, "you never let me get it" Ray argued. "Just come on" he said lazily, "you're such a drag sometimes."

They then headed to a park inside of the village, they lay in the grass looking up at the stars, Ray would mention different stars looked like various things while Shikamaru lay there and listen, he didn't talk much when they were stare gazing. Ray went quiet after a while so Shikamaru looked over at her, his back remaining on the ground, he saw that she had fallen asleep, "so I guess she wasn't lying" he chuckled softly to himself as to let her sleep-in peace.

Ray finally woke up, she sat up rubbing her eyes to see Shikamaru lying next to her still, "you have a good rest?" he chuckled, "what time is it?" she looked around, it was light, "8 AM I believe" he directed his attention to her as she turned around to face him, "wait..." she thought as she lay down on her stomach, her shoulders were parallel with his chest, "I slept here all night?" she was surprised but to drowsy to care to much, "yea" Shikamaru nodded as he rolled on his side to get a more direct look at her as they talked, he rested his head on his hand supported by his elbow resting on the ground, "wait what about you?" she looked to him concerned he hadn't slept. "I got some sleep don't worry" he smiled, "muphh, muphh, mu, muph" she attempted to talk to him but she had lay her face down in the grass, "I have no idea what you're saying" he chuckled, Ray adjusted herself a bit to repeat what she said but it was still muffles, "Ray you can't talk into the ground" he leaned in closer in attempt to make out what she was saying, she finally sat up resting her weight on her forearms, "why..." she began to repeat herself once more but when she sat up she was shockingly close to him since he had leaned in to hear her. He was a shocked at the little space between them as well but he didn't move, "why...didn't you just...wake me up" Ray found it hard to speak since he was so close, it made her nervous. "Because you looked so...peaceful" he kept his eyes locked with hers. This was the first time he hadn't backed away or looked away startled out of the many times they found themselves so close to each other. "Is that so" she kept her attention towards him but glanced away from the intensity of his gaze. Shikamaru took her shoulder and rolled her over holding her tight, it seemed like such a swift motion to Ray, slow and elegant. In reality, it happened in less than a second, she was entrapped by his gaze she didn't realize things were getting bad, a shower of debris hurled over and past them. "What the hell?" Ray pushed Shikamaru off her, they both stood up jumping to the top of a tree nearby to see what the threat was. Ray began to feel herself filling with Rage, "Pein" she watched as a giant centipede with chakra rods in him wrecked the village. "Go to Kurenai" Ray ordered Shikamaru, "what are you going to do?" he was surprised by her sudden change in demeanor, "end this, I can protect myself, Kurnai has your future student!" Ray yelled. Shikamaru then leapt out of the tree vanishing, at the same moment she saw Sakura take down the centipede. 'I'll go to the Hokage' Ray thought to herself, she then leapt away helping those in danger along the way.