Ch. 9 : Time with Shikamaru

"So, you're the reason we have so much information on the Akatsuki now huh" Asuma pulled a cigarette pack out of his pocket. "I suppose you could say that" Ray put her hands in her pockets shyly, "I didn't really wanna get stuck with babysitting duty I have my own affairs to attend" he complained "I'm sorry, if you want I can go back to the hospital with Kakashi, although admittedly I would rather not" she began to kick a small rock along the path. "Oh, there's no need for that I have permission to pawn you off on one of my students, only for a short time though" he admitted, "way to put it" she pouted, still feeling like a nuisance. "I'm sorry I just had plans to meet up with somebody, I'm about to drop you off on the student I just spoke of, know he hasn't been informed of your situation" Asuma explained, "ok" Ray continued to kick her rock friend. They continued their path to Asuma's student, 'I wonder who this student is, I feel like it's been too long to ask now' Ray thought to herself as she rested her hands on the top of her head. They were soon at a barbeque joint, "I will part with you here after we have some lunch with my students" Asuma walked into the barbeque place, so Ray followed. "Hey guys were gonna have a tag along until Kakashi recovers" Asuma spoke as they approached a booth where three young adults sat. Ray immediately noticed the Shikamaru fellow she had met before, Asuma took note of this, "Have you met Shikamaru?" He turned his attention to her. "Oh yes when I arrived at the village with Jiriya he came into the Hokage's office with Temari" Ray explained, "ok well then no introduction needed there, this is Choji and Ino" he gestured to the other two young adults sitting at the table, "Hi" Ray waved nervously. "Hey so do you like barbeque?" Choji asked as he stuffed his face, "don't talk with your mouth full" Ino complained. Ray chuckled, 'I hope I have a bond like this one day.' Shikamaru simply observed her, 'why does she need to be supervised?' he thought to himself. "So, you met Naruto and Jiriya when Naruto was training with him?" Ino asked as she poked at the pork ribs on the grill. "Yea" Ray sat down next to Ino after she gestured for her to do so, "I bet that was a handful, I don't know Jiriya very well but I know Naruto is annoying." Ino laughed, "I suppose so, he does have a lot of energy" Ray laughed herself, trying her best to ignore Shikamaru keeping his eyes trained on her. They continued with small talk till they left the barbeque place, "Shikamaru keep an eye on Ray I'm going to uhhh...meet somebody" he waved as he walked away, "say hi to Kurenai for us" Ino waved teasing Asuma. He then crumbled in embarrassment before he began to walk away once more, "Kurenai?" Ray asked, "oh Kurenai and him are together even though he tries to hide it" Ino chuckled. "I'll see you guys later" Choji began to walk away, "I'll see you later as well" Ino began to walk away to leaving Shikamaru and Ray alone. Shikamaru hadn't said anything the whole time she had been there, "what did I do?" Ray asked, "what?" Shikamaru looked to her lazily. "You have been keeping an eye on me since I got here" Ray put her hands behind her back slightly embarrassed, 'was I that obvious' he thought to himself, "oh, you didn't do anything I just didn't understand why you need supervision" he blatantly admitted as he began to walk. "Well, it's a bit of a story," Ray began to follow him, "well apparently we have time" he placed his hands in his pockets. "I don't know if you're supposed to be in the know though, it's actually a bit top secret to my understanding" Ray admitted.