The Escape

*not edited*

Ebony streamed through the grand windows that I was currently glancing through. My fingers absentmindedly played a melody while I gazed at roses dark as blood.

What have I done? Will James be suspicious? Is it possible that-

My thoughts abruptly halted due to the knock on the door, and I strode to it.

I opened to see a bewildered looking James, hair astray, golden eyes searching.

"At least you're in all black." I say, pulling him into my room. Grabbing his wrist, I made my way to the open window, casting the hood of my cloak over my features.

"Were you seen?" I asked.

"Ummmm...."

I scoffed, "Okay, well that's to be expected because there are at least ten guards outside each of our rooms. If you don't reappear until late at night they'll jump to conclusions... which won't be as bad as them discovering that the Crown Prince and the future Queen sneaked out to fight."

"We could always make those conclusions real, if you wish," he winks.

"In your dreams, Little Prince."

"Hey , I am not little. At least not where it counts," James smirked and I hit him on the chest, murmuring how disgusting he is, before I swung out of the window.

"Ar-" He began yelling.

"Shut up," I hiss, covering his mouth with my hand, "there are vines and ivy."

James scratches the back of his neck, "I-I've never-"

"Sneaked out? Time to learn, Pompous Prince."

I grasp onto a vine to my right, tugging to make sure it's strong.

"There are guards," he warns.

"Not at this time, it's a flaw in the schedule. I should have a talk to the Captain of the Royal Guards, shouldn't I?"

I wouldn't, though,  I want to be able to escape. However, if James talked to the Captain, I would be able to find another way.

"Follow my lead," I whisper, and he, however hesitantly, does.

We swing and climb down to the dirt section around twenty feet from where the jump from my window would've landed us.

James follows me, not as gracefully though.

"How'd you learn to do that?" He asks, taken aback.

I smirked at him, "My room was on the second level."

True enough, but this was also included in my training with Daniel.

My thoughts inevitably turned to the old man with a killer inside. I would have to go see him soon. I groaned internally at the thought.

James and I continued through the rose garden quietly. We had about a minute left until the new rotation of guards were placed.

"Hurry," I hissed at James, "step where I step."

We successfully maneuvered through the gardens, coming to a halt by the stables by the castle gate.

"The gate is closed, Ares, we won't be able to ride."

"I know that, and that's not my name."

He just winked, and I huffed, murmuring for him to follow my lead as I began to scale the wall.

Part of me regretted inviting James along, he'll see a lot more of the side I keep hidden. Another part whispered that it will be fun. And I haven't had fun in a long time.

We successfully made it over the wall, James needing a few instructions from me. It was painfully obvious that he loved it when I touched his body, showing him where to place his hands while I easily hung onto the wall with one arm.

We landed on the soft ground, and I grabbed him by the hand, leading him farther into the forest until we reached the the horse I snuck out earlier while the castle was at the evening meal. I simply told the guards that I wanted to take it to a meadow to graze, and a few sultry smiles convinced them that I accidentally lost it.

I motioned for him to mount and I got on after. James leaned back, to whisper in my ear, "You're truly amazing, it scares me but also intrigues me."

I simply laughed, saying "It's not difficult to escape, I just had to pay a little attention."

He moved so his lips were grazing my neck as he said, "I wasn't taking about this escape."

I smiled, and told him to continue into a town a few miles from the castle.

My heart was pounding, aware of every place we touched, and my blood was pumping, ready for the fight I was about to participate in.

A/N- This is a little short (I try to make my chapters each 1000 words) but I had school and practice all week so I didn't have a lot of time. Also, sorry for the time between updates! They should be about every weekend now but I'll try to do it as much as possible!
ALSO
PLEASE PLEASE VOTE IF YOURE ENJOYING THE STORY! A LOT OF YOU HAVE BEEN READING BUT NOT VOTING!