Burdens

The rest of the ball passed without much conflict, but, the more it progressed, the more strangled I felt.

I successfully avoided James and my mother for a substantial period of time, until the latter gripped my forearm so tightly that I knew it would bruise.

Lucinda dragged me out off the ballroom and into the air frozen with the night breezes, she dragged me until we were out of sight.

"What the hell was that Aella?" She practically shouted.

Although I stood two inches taller than her, I still cowered before her, still afraid of the mother who emotionally abused me throughout my entire life.

"I didn't mean to, I didn't have a choice," I murmured, looking down.

I hate this.

I hate her. For making me fear my own mother. Anger suddenly boiled in my blood, and I gazed into her hate-filled eyes.

"You know, I wouldn't think you would care. This gets me out of your godsforsaken house, and I am no longer a burden, mother."

She grabbed my chin, spitting, "How dare you speak to me that way. I raised you, you ungrateful child. And, you're right, I finally get to dispose of such an awful child, who is undeserving of the life she was given. Actually," she retracts her hand and holds her chin high, voice soft, ready to hit right where it hurts, "who is undeserving of anything, especially the love from anybody, including her own family. And, dear Aella, since the burden is no longer mine, you now must consider exactly how to continue your occupation, and, if you fail to comply, things worse than death will be in your future."

She walked, gracefully, away, leaving me aghast. She hasn't ever been clear about her hatred. All I ever did, including killing those innocent people, was for my family's approval. Her approval. She forced me into, for some reason, and I was now dead set on figuring out why.

But, until I got the chance to escape the castle grounds (which will be relatively easy for me), I was to stay here. I wasn't up for it tonight, especially after the encounter with mother dearest.

The weight of my mother's words still weighed heavy on my shoulders, pushing harder down. I gave into the weight, waking a few feet until I slid down the trunk of an oak tree. My eyes glazed.

After many tears silently rolling down my cheeks, a pair of boots came into view. I look up to see the worried face of James in my vision.

Too numb to feel embarrassed, I looked silently down. Before long, James sat cross legged in front of me, a finger brushing away a tear.

"Am I really that bad?" He attempted at cheering me up.

I felt the need to reassure him, so I told him a half truth, " No, it was my mother. She, well, she was a bitch. I mean I knew she didn't love me, but she didn't have to throw it in my face." Words escaped my lips, I needed to talk about it, even just a little bit.

"Oh, excuse my language, Your Highness," I added.

"I am truly sorry, and, again no need to call me Your Highness, Ares."

"My name is Aella," I willed my voice not to break, looking him in the eye.

His hand was on my cheek, brushing the remnants of tears away.

"I am already aware that I look like the monsters told to children to convince them to behave, no need to tell me," I said without humor, sure that the cosmetics were smudged around my eyes.

"Still beautiful," James whispered.

I chuckled, standing up finally, branches and dirt covering my previously glorious dress.

James stood with me, grabbing my hand, "I'll take you to your rooms, the back way."

I muttered thank you, it would certainly be embarrassing for my future subjects to see my face blotchy, red, with drips of kohl.

After a few minutes, I gained enough semblance of realization to say, "This isn't the way to my rooms."

"Shush, this will only take a few minutes, and, don't worry, little to no one will be there," he said, tugging me along.

We descended a spiral staircase and warmth mixed with the smell of sweet yeast greeted me, "You took me to the kitchens?"

"Where else would I take you to cheer you up? Besides you look as if you could use some good food, and a little wine." He winked.

"I am not going to lie, that sounds perfect."

As we entered, to my relief, I noticed no one was inside. James moved around the kitchen grabbing items here and there.

"Do you come down here a lot?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Of course, the chef practically raised me! Plus, it was kind of my hideout, and it helped that there was always good food."

What looked to be relatively fresh loaves of bread caught my attention, and I grabbed one.

"Thank you," I said to James, my mouth inches away from olive and nut encrusted bread, and a moan escaped my lips as soon as I took a bite.

"Even when you look like the creature I was terrified that was hiding under my bed all those years ago, you still manage to look cute," he sighed, glancing at me over his shoulder while he looked in a cabinet.

"You're going to make me blush, Your Highness," I chuckled.

"James." He corrected, and interrupted my retort by setting a bottle of an amber liquid beside me. "Liquor and food always cures the blues," he grinned.

I faked shock, "James! How dare you insinuate that I, a Noble Daughter and future Queen, drink alcohol, especially when it is not a glass of wine with my small, rationed meals."

That earned me a small laugh, and he joked, "More for me then." He grabbed the bottle and uncapped it.

"Amusing," I laughed while he drank straight from the bottle.

It wasn't anything I wasn't used to, along with being apart of the Underworld, I also got to enjoy the pleasures of it: the freedom and carelessness. Under a disguise of course, I would grace the most fun parties, with drunkards, bored citizens and thieves playing cards, music from bands on a raised platform, and, of course, the fights people looking for a thrill either bet on or participated. I've participated in many, Daniel has always requested I do, always winning. I fight, of course, under the alias of Aspen Saroth, my assassin's name also. My favorite part of those parties is the dancing, young and old twirling without a care, no planned steps, no partner. Of course, there are those who take the dancing to a more physical level, but I love getting lost in the music that seems to carry my soul to and fro on the dance floor.

"What are you thinking about?" James asked, as I was obviously lost in thought, "You looked, for once, joyed."

I scoffed, "Oh give me that," reaching for the amber liquid, knowing it too well.

I took a few sips then grabbed my bread, looking at the boy in front of me, "A pleasant memory, one of the few I have."

"Oh, dear Ares, I am sure that with me, you'll have many more."

---

The clock struck two in the morning when we reached my rooms, James' hand in mine, leading me. I stopped in front of the door, looking back to the beautiful boy in front of me.

"Thank you, James, really." I meant it too, we spent the night laughing and eating anything filling and warm.

The amber liquid turned my head hazy, but nothing I wasn't used to.

I pressed a kiss to his cheek, not missing the surprised look on his face before I escaped inside my chambers.

A/N- Thank you for reading! Let me know your thoughts! I'm excited to write more of Ares in the Underworld, so we can see her in a new way, but that will be coming up. :) Sorry for the wait for this chapter, I've had soccer tryouts this week and I worked on a new Teen Fiction story, in which I am excited to write more of, so check that out if you're up for it!