The Choosing

I was ushered forward by the same force that lifted me off the floor earlier.

     The crowd parted, letting me see that the noble daughters have been arranged in a circle, facing the stage and the Hemlas.

     I caught sight of James, eyes wide and watching. Once he noticed my stare, he returned it and tried to smile, but failed. Nervous that it won't be you, he mouthed and winked. I rolled my eyes and gazed forward as the Hemlas began a series of ethereal steps, almost like a dance. They soon disappeared from the stage and formed on the ballroom floor, in the middle of the wide circle. The dance continued, and, when all seven rose their hands hard into the air, a large boulder emerged from the dance floor a little to the left of the center of our circle, two out ward facing sides worn and the other two lateral side were completely smooth.

     I gasped as they continued their dance and formed a wall of fire with a solid punch into the air and a spinning kick following. The flames licked one of the smooth sides of the boulder.

     The Hemlas rotated their positions among us, all flipping silently high into the space.

     More strangled gasps as a vortex of air formed beside the flames, diagonal from the rock.

     They continued their movements, these steps more flowing than the others. With legs standing strong and arms forming graceful stretches, a cresting wave formed along the other smooth side of the rock.

     The Hemlas' palms met with the other, as the silent dance ended.

     I wanted to clap as the fixtures remained.

     The torches on the outskirts of the room faded, the smoldering fire the main source of light.

     Close your eyes, Daughter. Saja's voice sounded in my head, and, by the looks of the surrounding noble daughters, they heard it as well.

     My eyelids fluttered shut as I carefully inhaled and exhaled, my breath shaking.

     My arms slowly rose as my feet shifted, movements precise.

     I heard the gasps of those behind me, but they were muffled. As if I wasn't in the same room.

     I felt tickling on my arms, up to my neck and down to my heart.

    Open your eyes, precious Ares, sounded Saja's voice.

     I did as I was told and saw bracelets of rock covering my wrists, to tiny tornados on my forearms, followed by licks of flame that went to my collarbone. Finally came drops of water clinging onto my neck, down to my racing heart, where resided a still cresting wave.

     There were so many drops, it formed what looked like a sea on my body.

     I would've screamed in terror if I found my voice.

     Calm, child.

     I glanced up to see angered or horrified looks from the daughters, but smiling faces of the Hemlas.

     That's enough for now, dear Ares, you can vanish it if you wish to, sang Saja.

      I imagined the rocks fading into the ground, the air dispersing, the flames turning into embers, and my skin absorbing the ocean.

     I watched as the elements did as I wished, gasping at the end.

     The Hemlas have gathered around me, Saja directly beside me.

     She transferred us onto the stage, grasping my hand.

     "Citizens of Aravet, your future Queen," they announced.

     Applause erupted as Saja whispered into my mind: the most powerful we've seen in years.

A/N- I know this was a short chapter, sorry about that! I've started the next chapter, but, given that I'm going to try and make it longer, and that I'm starting a new story in Teen Fiction it may take a little longer for the update! Please let me know what you think!