The Ball

Spiral stairs descended to the room, only meant for royals and nobility. My mother and I continued through the large doors, slowly continuing down the stairs. Eyes followed us down the stairs, in awe of one of the reigning houses.

     I looked around the great room, ivory floors were littered with people and high walls made the room feel larger than life.

     Slow, classical music was playing as we landed, such contrast to the music I love, the music that plays at the underworld's pubs and bars. The music that makes you dance, the music that makes you feel alive.

     Judging eyes bore into my back as curious irises followed me to the front of the room. A pathway was made as I ethereally strode to the wide space in front of the stage, in front of the king.

    My mother stayed at the edge of the crowd as I stood at my designated place, beside the other daughters, all in various dresses and colors, they all gawked at me.

     I ignored them and focused solely on the king, avoiding James' stare.

     The tall, burly man stood, his burnished eyes quieting the crowd.

     "Hello all, and welcome to my palace." He exclaimed, earning cheers from the crowds. "It's an honor to host you all here, Noble Families, city dwellers, and country roamers alike. Though, as most of you are aware, this evening is not solely for enjoyment, tonight we discover our future queen." More cheering. "The Choosing shall commence after a few rounds of dancing, enough time for our future king to dance with every one of possible brides. If he wishes, that is. Let the celebration begin, my kind citizens and proud Nobel Houses." Cheers echoed through the hall as ballroom music began.

     I immediately tried to blend in with the crowd, but those around me backed away, consciously or not. I was trying to find my way to- to anywhere, but where the prince was. Though a small part of me wanted to dance with him, to be close to him, the part that my mother controlled yelled at me to stay away, to avoid. So that's what I tried to do, maneuvering quickly through the crowd, since I could feel James following me. I finally made it to the outskirts of the dance floor, in front of large open doors that led to an outside pond and path, when a warm hand brushed my shoulder.

     "Ares," James started.

     "My name is Aella," I said turning towards him, fully aware of the eyes on us while I gave him a sweet smile.

     He moved closer while he said, "Dance with me, I would like to dance with you,"

     My heart sunk, his eyes were on my lips as I muttered a polite yes, thinking that it would be one dance, And that I could get away quickly and escape outside.

     He led me onto the dance floor, pulling me closer than needed, bodies connecting at every possible place.

     "You look-" He began.

     "You don't need to say anything," I whispered, the words coming out less sharp than intended.

      "But I want to, Ares, you look absolutely stunning." He finished the compliment, and my heart began racing, despite my mind telling it not to, as he returned his gaze to my lips, perfectly colored.

     We missed no steps of the classic ballroom dance, and I kept quiet, wanting the dance to finish.

     He, unfortunately, did not. "So," He murmured, playing with a strand of gold in my hair, "What is your favorite flower?"

     "Unnecessary," I answered, gazing at the door where I would escape in just a few more steps.

     "It's not. Also, you won't be getting rid of me that easily, since I am going to request another dance from you, Ares. And if you don't grant my request, it will be a command."

     "Shouldn't you dance with the other daughters? They may actually kill to be in my position."

     "But none are as beautiful as you," he flirted, chuckling as I rolled my eyes.

     I clicked my tongue. "Yes, but one of them is most likely your future wife, shouldn't you at least acknowledge them? I feel the this night might lead to some trouble in bed after your marriage."

     He started laughing, hard. We paused dancing because James was using one of his hands to cover another laugh that burst from him, and it took me a moment to realize what joke I made. I made a foul joke to the prince. Oops.

     The song was coming to a close and I tried to escape, before he raised his head again. My years of training and lectures have taught me strength, and self restraint. I will never be one of the girls to bend over backwards for any man, even the prince.

     I saw a gap in the crowd and took a step toward it, but the prince caught my hand. I internally sighed.

     "It wasn't that funny, I can still focus Ares, try harder next time." He smirked.

     "My name is Aella," I said as I wrenched my hand out of his grasp. More eyes focused on us.

     "Fair enough," James replied, with a sly grin.

     "Enjoy your dancing," I motioned to the crowd, and the angry noble daughters, laughing a little bit.

     I slipped away before he could reply.

A/N- I saw this got another read and I squealed oops (that's how new to this I am). Anyway, thanks everyone who has read this, I'd love to hear your thoughts :) The Choosing is one of my favorite scenes I've written (I haven't written much past it, though, so the updates will take a little longer)!