Chapter Eight

The faint glow of Austin's phone shone on his face in the dark as we lay on the bed.

I wasn't scared but rather confused of why he had carried me up here to sleep with him. He looked so serious as he texted and he silently read the texts to himself every time.

"Can't sleep?"He turned to me, smirking. I looked away quickly and just stared at the ceiling. He silently chuckled.

"Why are you so scared to look at me?" I closed my eyes, trying to control my breathing but I gasped as he reached for my right cheek. He turned my head to face him.

"Open your eyes babe."

"Don't call me that." I opened my eyes to glare at him. He was much closer than I thought.

I could see the green flecks in his hazel eyes and I would have loved to look into them all day.

But the glare that he was giving me was more than enough to scare me out of the room.

"And why can't I call you that, babe?" He give me a half smile. My emotions were all mixed up and I didn't know what say back.

The feelings that I was starting to develop for Austin were unexplainable and he continued making me feel a certain a way that I knew shouldn't have started in the first place.

"Because you don't own me." I finally replied back but there was a voice in my head telling me I shouldn't have done so. Austin scoffed.

"Maddie, anything that is in my house," I shivered as his fingers trailed across my waist.

"Belongs to me."

He pulled me even closer to him, so that my head was now rested on his chest.

"Would you just relax?" He exclaimed as he pulled back to look at me. "I'm not going to hurt you." His expression softened a little.

"You're so cute when you're scared." He wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin upon my head and started rubbing small circles on my back with his fingertips.

Austin's P.O.V

I could hear her softly snoring, almost like she was whispering. I continued rubbing her back and just watched her sleep.

There was something about Maddie that made me feel guilty every time I would yell at her or threaten her.

Maybe it was that small-child like image that she portrayed.

Her expressions were more of a child's than a teenager's and the way she would frantically look at everyone in the room reminded me of a frightened child.

But her attitude was something I have never been given to before.

At times it seemed like she was frightened by my presence but that would all change when she reached a certain limit.

A limit that was unpredictable at times. Along with her child-like image she seemed to have a bold and fearless image, almost like she's been through alot in her life.

I looked at the top of her head and made my way down but I stoped when I saw a purple bruise, the size of a large grape, on her shoulder.

The sleeve of her sweater slouched down, revealing a little less than half her arm. I could see 2 pale yellow spots.

Old bruises.

I noticed some on her forearm the first day I brought her in and had not paid any attention, assuming that she had gotten them from the incident in the alley.

I slowly pulled down her sleeve, and realised there were more. Some were a brownish red, almost like blood stains, and some were a faded yellow.

I placed my fingertips on her arm and lightly ran over every single bruise but she winced when I touched the purple one.