Chapter One

"Hey Maddie are you free tonight?" I closed my locker door to find Quinn standing near by with a giant smile on her face. 

"Uh no...I have homework." I replied quietly. To be honest I was free but I wanted to spend the night by myself. Personal reasons. 

"Oh...maybe tomorrow than?" I nodded slightly, looking away. She turned and walked down the hall, slowly.

 I hated myself for lying. I've been avoiding Quinn all week, giving her the same excuse why I couldn't hang out. I never told her the real reason why though...it was too complicating.

 I sighed heavily as I grabbed my backpack and walked out of the school. I wanted to kill myself for acting like this all week.

I was hurting everyone around me. 

My mom, my sister, and even my best friend.

 I ran my hands through my hair and closed my eyes shut for a bit before opening them again.

As I crossed the street, I noticed 3 guys at the end of the sidewalk. 

"Oh no..." I muttered to myself and quickly turned the other way. I picked up my pace a little, hoping that they did'nt notice me.

But as dumb as I was, I looked behind me and nearly froze when one of the guys were looking back.

 He had dark brown hair that was slightly covering his deep brown eyes. He just stood there with the other two guys.

They weren't following me or anything. I turned again and a few minuetes later, I was home. I walked inside and headed straight for the stairs.

 "Maddison?" I winced when I heard my moms voice. I turned to find her standing at the bottom of the stairs. "Aren't you going to say hi?" I felt so guilty.

"Hi..." 

"How was your day?"

"Good" There was an awkward silence.

"That's good..." She walked away into the living room, giving me the chance to escape.

I ran up the stairs and ran into my room. I sighed heavily as I dropped onto my bed, burying my face into my pillow.

I held my breath for longer than I should have, but then I let it out. I looked up and stared into the mirror across the room.

 "I'm a mess..." I muttered to myself.

I got up to change out of my jeans and into something more comfortable.

As I took my shirt off, I saw the purple bruises running down my arm and stomach and It took me all my strength not to scream and break down. 

Memories started to flood my mind.
Could it had only been a month ago that I was living a happy life? I quickly grabbed my sweats and a sweater.

My body ached as I pulled the sweater over my head so I moved my arms awkwardly trying to avoid pain. 

Than there was a knock on my door. "Maddie can I come in?" It was my younger sister.

"Bailey what do you want?" I snapped. She looked back at me, slightly startled.

"I just came to say hi... what the fuck is up with you?" I looked away. 
"You know I've been asking you that for a while now. And I still haven't gotten an answer."

She walked out, slamming the door behind. 

"Whatever..." I muttered. I didn't feel like letting anyone know what happened.