Shifting

//Warning: Mature Language//

Jace's POV:

(Flashback sponsored by my inability to EVER post)
I walked up to the front door that I'd grown very familiar with in the last 18 years. Our mom's were best friends, by extension we were, then, by sophomore year, me and (y/n) went on our first date; A piano concert that I pretended I hated but she knew that I'd love. That day, I swore to her that I'd be on that stage one day and she'd have the best seats in the house. Which brings us to today, we'd be graduating next week and I'd put off telling her until now, I had to tell her now, or she'd never forgive me.

"Hey J what's up?" A distressed look crossed her face as she opened the door. "Oh no, I didn't miss Batmarathon did I?" Batmarathon, I'd come over and we'd watch Batman movies all day.

"No, no you're fine" I chuckled. Wiping my palms on my jeans. "Can I–?"

"Of course, J, we've been friends since we were fetus, and dating since we were 16. You don't have to ask." She said stepping aside. "So what's up?" She asked plopping down on her couch.

"I can't go on our senior trip" I blurted out, getting straight to the point.

"Oh, that reminds me! Sorry you go first." She said awkwardly

"I can't go, me and the guys well, we're gonna be busy all summer." I said dread setting in.

"Wait, are you telling me...?"

"Yes! We got an offer to go open for this band M83!!!" I said, happily replaying the phone call from a couple weeks ago. Me and a friend of mine, Hodge, had been playing in a piano and trumpet cover band and had achieved some internet success but it wasn't exactly where we saw ourselves peaking as musicians, so we started emailing our videos to various promoters.

"That's amazing!" She said kissing me and bringing me in for a tight hug.

"Now I can make sure you've got the best seats in the house!! Wait, so what was your news?"

Her face shifted, realization fell across her features. "Oh...J, dammit I-I can't go." She stuttered

"What?" The mood had changed shifted almost instantly.

"My news was that I got the spot at Vogue, They gave me the internship, I have to be at training in three weeks." She'd been an artist since she could pick up a pencil and this graphic design spot has been her dream since we were eight.

"That's-thats fantastic Claire congrats" I said bringing her back into my arms as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"I didn't think we'd be splitting up, but hey, I'll see you in the fall at NYU, you're gone be great." She said as her teary green eyes bore into mine. Still wrapped in each other's embrace, never wanting to let go.

(Timeskip within a flashback brought to you by 2002 Avril Lavigne because it's "Complicated")

"Dude! Get in here!" A clearly drunk Hodge screamed from the front of the bus

"I'm here, I'm here." I said noticing that the rest of our liquor was probably gone. Anyway. "What is it?" I
asked.