Chapter 3: House of Give Ups/ House of Friendships

At breakfast, there was a lot of tension going around. Trudy noticed how quiet it was.

"What is with everybody this morning?" she asked. Nobody said anything. Mick glared at Jerome, Joy glared at Patricia, got up and walked away, Eddie ignored Patricia, and Amber played with her food. Victor walked in and everybody got real quiet.

"I have an announcement to make," he said. "Mr. Sweet would like everybody to report directly to the school after breakfast before you begin your work." Everybody started to get up, but Victor wasn't done. "Furthermore, if at any point I catch any or you sneaking around after curfew planning 'study groups'" he looked directly at Fabian and Nina "during your stay here this summer, the punishments will be most severe. It is time for you to start acting your age."

"Says the almost 100 year old man who likes who likes to play with chemicals in the basement," Amber whispered to Nina and Fabian. The group started to disperse getting ready to head over to the school. Joy decided to talk to Patricia but before she could go over to her, Patricia got up and followed after Eddie.

"Eddie wait!" she said. He ignored her. "I said wait up doofus!"

"Oh, you were talking to me?" he asked sarcastically.

"Uh yeah," she said. "Can we talk?"

"Oh so now you want to talk?" he asked. "You're not too busy hanging out with your mystery buddies to talk to me?"

"Not anymore," Patricia said. "So I'll see you at lunch, yeah?"  Before Eddie could say anything, she walked away. He grinned. Fabian and Nina were on their way over to the school when Nina told him about Amber's dream.

"Do you think it could mean something?" Fabian asked.

"I don't know," Nina said. "But why Amber?"

"Maybe it was just a dream. A lot of bad stuff happened last term. She could just be having nightmares."

"True," Nina said. "I feel so bad! I'm the one who put her through it."

"Hey," Fabian said. " You mustn't blame yourself. We are all in it together."

"Correction, were," Nina corrected. "We were all in it together. I still can't believe they all backed out, especially Amber."

"Don't worry," Fabian said. "You still have me, no matter what." Nina smiled.

"Ok, so what do we do about Victor?" she asked getting back to business.

"Do we need to do anything?" he asked. "Maybe Patricia is right. If he wants to live forever, then why should we stop him?" Nina clutched her locket.

"I don't know," she said. "I just have a bad feeling, A really bad feeling." At the school, everybody was meeting in the common room. Mr Sweet was talking.

"As you are all aware, you will be beginning you last year at this school in the fall. I want to give you some advice." Everybody listened. "Use this summer wisely. Take these next couple months to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. You're dismissed." Nina was so busy pondering over what the headmaster had said, she didn't hear Fabian calling her name.

"What?" she asked.

"Come on," he said. "Jasper is waiting for us at the library."

"Oh, right," she said. She followed after him. Patricia walked into Miss Andrews room to find Joy and Mara already there. Patricia ignored Joy and took a seat. Miss Andrews was talking to Mara.

"Once again, I am impressed with your enthusiasm to take on two internships, but none the less surprised, " she said. "I am teaching a French class later this summer and I want you to lead. So for the next couple weeks I will be giving you different assignments to get ready for it."

"Ok," Mara said excitedly.

"Now for your journalism internships," Miss Andrews addressed the three of them. "Joy, I was impressed when I saw your work for the Jackal as well as yours Mara. So I want you to use this summer to redesign the school website. I know you'll all work together to make it exciting." Joy and Patricia looked at each other then looked away.

"Okay," she said awkwardly. "I'll leave you to it then." They got up to leave. "Oh, Patricia, a word please?" Joy and Mara left, but Joy decided to wait outside. "I am wondering if this is something you want to do?" the teacher asked her.

"What do you mean?" Patricia asked.

"I never thought that you took a particular interest in journalism," Miss Andrews said curiously.

"Yeah, well I thought I would try it out," Patricia said lamely. "Plus I get to work with my best fr....I get to work with Mara." Joy, who was listening, was taken aback.

"The whole point of these internships is for you to figure out what you want to do after you graduate. What is it you want to do with your life?" Miss Andrews asked. "Just something to think about." Patricia left the room and headed towards the common room to wait for Victor.

"Patricia!" Joy said running after her. Patricia ignored her. "Patricia wait up!" She ran in front of her to make her stop.

"What now?" Patricia snapped.

"I just want to ask you something." Joy said hurtfully. "Do you really want to do this journalism internship?" Patricia raised an eyebrow.

"Eavesdropping now, are you?" Patricia asked. "Sticking your nose in other people's business again, are you?"

"Can you just answer the question?" Joy asked impatiently. Patricia sighed.

"Well, I guess I wanted to do it so we could hang out more," she confessed. 

"Really?" Joy asked suspiciously. "I thought you did it so you could work with Mara."

"I only said that because I was angry with you," Patricia confessed. "You're my best friend, when you're not a drama queen."

"Hey!," Joy said. "You mean when you're not too busy with Sibuna?" 

"I told you, I gave up Sibuna."

"Aww, you gave up Sibuna for me?" Joy asked.

"Umm, sure..." Patricia said.

"That is the nicest thing you've done for me," Joy said happily. "So, to celebrate, how about we get started on this website at lunch."

"Actually, Eddie and I are having lunch together," Patricia said. Joy tried not to roll her eyes."

"I see I'm back to being the third wheel," she said somewhat kidding.

"You could come..."

"No," Joy shook her head. "I guess I should get used to it. You guys enjoy. I'll catch you later." Patricia  watched as Joy walked away.

Author's Note: This was going to turn into another long chapter so I had to end it somewhere. What do you guys think? I wasn't sure what to call this chapter. Any ideas?

It looks like things are ok between Joy and Patricia, for now...but either Joy has got to stop being jealous all the time or get a boyfriend. Hmmm is there a Moy or Jick possible relationship in the future? (hint, hint) And we still don't know what Amber's dreams are about. Is Senkhara really back and if so, why is she after Amber? What do you guys think is going to happen? 

Chapter 4 coming soon! Remember: follow my HOA fan club on twitter @hoa_usa for more updates on my story and for some HOA talk. In June, I will be starting a Fan of the Month (or as I call it Sibuna of the Month). :)