32.

A/N: This book gone be like 50 chapters 🤦🏽‍♀️ Next chapter you'll find out whats really poppin' off doe. Sorry yall, school just started back so i'ma be kinda slow on the updates but i'm trying. This unedited btw.

Athena Kelly

Working on getting my grades back up wasn't the hardest thing to do. Of course, I had a million and one assignments to catch up on but in no time I was back to straight A's with the exception of one B as a result of my teacher in that class not being to generous about late work.

School was pretty good. People weren't getting in my nerves. Everyone was minding their business. Jamina wasn't even bothering me. Boyd was back to normal. Everything was starting to look up, or at least that was what I thought.

"You want me to drive you home?" Boyd asked me. I shook my head no. He usually drove me home after school all the time but I knew he had something to do for his mom so I planned in just walking. "You sure? She can wait a lil' bit."

"I'll walk. I need some fresh air anyway" I said to him.

He nodded. "Aight, i'm gone then. Lemme know when you get in" he kissed my forehead and walked to his car.

I started in the direction of my house but within the first few steps, I thought about a few homework assignments that I wanted to work on at the library. So I changed my mind and headed towards there instead. It wasn't that far of a walk from my house or from school so I was fine with walking there and I would still be able to get my work done and get home before it got dark.

"Hey!" A voice stopped me in my tracks. I usually ignore random people that called out at me because people were weird and there were always creepy guys trying to get me into their cars. The  voice that I had just heard stood out to me due to the fact that it sounded like a female.

When I turned around, it was indeed a girl walking towards me. She had tattoos and blue hair. I had definitely never seen her before so I had not even the slightest clue who she was.

"You walk fast as hell girl. Whats your name?" she asked as she got closer. I backed up a bit. I could never be completely sure of anyone's intentions these days.

"Why?" I questioned while eyeing her funny.

"Calm down. I'm not trynna hurt you and I like girls but you are definitely not my type shorty."

For some reason that made me laugh. "Well, I don't think my name is important if you don't have a reason to know it."

She groaned. "You are definitely the person i'm looking for. Are you Athena?"

I squinted at her. "Who wants to know?"

"Um, me obviously."

"I'm Athena, yes" I finally answered. 

"Good. I'm Melanie. I've been looking after your sister."

Hearing something about my sister made my ears perk up. "Is she okay? Please tell me she's okay."

"She's fine but I know damn well that if we don't get her home soon, she'll never come home."

"So what does that mean?" I asked eagerly.

"It means, I need your help. I can't trust anyone else around there became they all work for my cousin and are in no way trustworthy."

I nodded slowly. "What do you want me to do?"

"I'll explain. Where you going? I don't like that we're just standing in the middle of the sidewalk" she looked around.

"To the library up the street. We can walk and talk if you want" I suggested.

She nodded. "Lead the way."

Cato Willis

I ain't know what the fuck was wrong wit' me. I wasn't in the right mindset at all. So much shit was goin' on and I ain't even wanna discuss it even tho' I knew I should.

I started regrettin' not takin' Athena's help. I was just hesitant about it since she was cool with my grandma and her people. They was always in folks business but never really concerned for 'em. They just wanted some shit to talk about.

I was leavin' a wing place that I went to all the time to get food since a nigga wasn't too good wit' cookin'. It was like 8 o'clock at night and I ain't wanna go home but I knew I ain't have shit better to do so I had to.

I pressed the button to unlock my car door but instead of gettin' in, I was caught off guard by somethin' hittin' the back of my head. Shit sent me straight to the ground. I hissed in pain and looked up to see this nigga BJ standin' over me. He squatted down to my level.

"You fuckin' up bruh. I'm really trynna help yo ass but'chu makin' it hard" he shook his head.

"Nigga, why the fuck is you here? You followin' me?" I asked him. This shit was unnecessary. I wasn't in the mood to fight either so it would be nothin' for him to beat my ass right now honestly. I aint have the energy for it. Plus, he had hit my head so hard with ion even know what, I was still out of order. I pulled my hand from holdin' my head and sure enough, a nigga was bleedin'.

"Yeah, i'm followin' you. I'm sposed to be threatenin' you and shit but thats not the case. You know i'm playin' both sides at this point. The only problem is that one side actin' fugazy. Thats yo side by the way." I chuckled and sat up. "I wanted to beat yo ass for puttin' yo crusty dusty ass lips on my girl too. I wasn't expectin' to bust yo head open tho. Maybe I overdid it. Sorry, you prolly got a concussion now."

I kissed my teeth and slowly stumbled my way to my feet. I was pissed as hell cause my chicken had fell. I should make this nigga pay for me some more. "Sonnie sent you i'm guessin'?"

He nodded. "He said if you want him to clear yo name wit' his bald headed ass daddy then you gotta take care of somethin' for him. I'm hearin' from Sage that he want you to get rid of Amaru for him but, we not gone let that happen. Right?" he grinned.

I ain't know if I wanted to agree with that. Get rid of one person and my family and myself get spared? That ain't sound too bad to me. I got lost in thought about it.

BJ face dropped. "Look we either got a deal or we don't. You actin' like you wanna work wit' me but at the same time, you actin' like you don't. So let me know right now if you wit' or against me..."

I sighed. As much as I wanted to do the wrong thing, I couldn't. Athena would never forgive me if I killed her sister. And its crazy as hell but I couldn't live wit' myself if that happened. I already got my fam mad at me cause of one death. Ion need the last person to give a shit about me mad at me too. "I'm down. Whats the move?"

"Take the offer but don't really do it. I set some shit up with Mel but I only discussed half of it with her. Its not gone work if she know everything. I'm a hundred percent sure Sonnie got her shit wired and her phone tapped."

I nodded. "Since you damn near knocked me out, I need a ride home. You can tell me when we get there."