Just One of the Guys (Steve Rogers x Reader)

Start from the beginning

"I am," you nodded, playing with the straw in your drink. "What's a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?" You were teasing him but hoping he realized you weren't flirting.

He let out an honest laugh, even though you got the impression he held back his laughing for the most part.

"Meeting friends," he replied. He smiled to himself, "Actually, it's too bad one of those guys wasn't here because he would have had quite a bit to say to that pervy creep a minute ago."

"Sounds like my boyfriend," you said with a giggle.

"What sounds like me?" Steve's deep voice came from behind you. You turned around to look at him, surprised to see him and Sam so soon. "So let me get this straight, this guy knows you have a boyfriend and he's hitting on you?"

"No, no, he's not," you said, trying to diffuse the situation.

Steve's serious face turned into a big grin as he looked at Jim. "Buck, hands off... this beautiful girl is waiting for me," Steve said as he wrapped his arm around you and gave you a squeeze. "Hi baby," he said, leaning in for a little kiss.

Your eyebrows dipped as you looked at Jim, who was now smiling from ear to ear and reaching out to squeeze Steve's hand. "Hey pal, nice catch," he said to Steve, but nodding to you.

"Bucky!?" you asked, although it came out more like you'd finally put all the pieces together.

"Yeah, well, my name is James," he smiled at you.

"Well, I'm glad to finally meet you, Bucky... Jim... which do you prefer?" you asked.

"My friends call me Bucky," he said very pointedly to you.

"That's right, Barnes," Sam laughed.

"Hi, Sam," you smiled. When Steve told you about tonight, he said you'd be meeting some other people but you were already quite familiar with Sam.

"I'm sorry we were late," Steve said and then turned to look at Sam. "You can thank Sam for that... he does everything I do, just slower." Steve's sarcasm was on point tonight and not lost on Sam who shook his head.

"Steve, seriously... so I needed a little more time picking out a tie," Sam sighed comically. "You can't rush this." He pointed to himself with a sly smile.

"Well, it was worth the wait," you said. "You boys look very dashing."

"We have some time for a drink before the dinner," Steve said and he and Sam joined you on the closest bar stools. Steve leaned into you and in a low, whispered voice, he said "Baby, you look... you look like I want to take you home right now." The bartender interrupted to take their drink orders as you tried to keep your smile under control.

You got to hear lots of teasing between the three goofballs and even a "Steve-in-the-old-days" story from Bucky before you all headed upstairs to the ballroom for a charity dinner Tony had bought a table for.

As usual, someone came to take Steve away for a photo opportunity right after you had been seated. He looked at you like a puppy dog as they walked him away. You knew he didn't love the attention and he'd rather stay at the table but you understood why people were excited to see THE Captain America. Steve Rogers may belong to you but Captain America belongs to the world. You took the opportunity to get to know Bucky better. Although he could be quiet, he seemed to be letting go in front of you and you found that you got along famously and seemed to have a lot in common. Sam flew the coop to chase down a pretty girl right before the band changed the music and someone announced that Captain Rogers would be dancing the first dance... with some so and so... Whaaaaat? you wondered. You watched Steve from across the room and he shot you a look like he felt terrible.