Deal with the Devil

"The student that passed away was..Jeon Jungkook."

     I was completely stunned. No, this couldn't possibly be happening. It felt like someone punched me in the throat and the wind was knocked out of me. I couldn't breathe.

     "We'll have 5 minutes of silence to commemorate the great man that Jeon Jungkook was," Principal Lee declares.

     I snickered in my head. Silence? How was that supposed to help?

Everyone remained quiet for the requested period of time, but I felt the urge to scream.

"You may resume your classes normally."

The next minute, the class didn't utter a word. If the principal thought silence could help, maybe staying soundless could bring back Jungkook?

      Finally, Mr Kang broke the quiet. He frowned and put his hands over his eyes.

He muttered, "It's such a shame, he was a talented kid...he was a good kid.."

One of the many girls who was notorious for crushing on Jungkook, Ji Hee, began crying in the corner of the classroom. She dismissed herself to go to the bathroom.

     The whole class broke into whispering.

     Chul, a jock from the basketball team babbled to his desk partner,  "What could have caused him to take his own life? He had good grades, all the girls chasing behind him, and even assholes sucking up to him. Sure he was occasionally a douche, but he had it all."

Some students muttered in agreement.

Mr Kang told Chul to "Shut the hell up". He spends the rest of class explaining the signs of suicides and reminiscences his favorite memories with Jungkook.

        All throughout the day, I heard people's grievances, theories and even jokes about my enemy's end.

"Sad he took his own life. I saw his abs yesterday and damn those babies could have been put to good use," a preppy girl walking ahead of me in the hallway snorted.

     Her friend smacked her hand and the other girl cackled, "Too soon?"

     In my physics class, Fred, a book smart kid, whispered to his fellow nerd, "I can't believe Jungkook is gone...he was such a smart kid too and we were fighting to win that scholarship. Wait does that mean he's disqualified and I'm automatically in? I'm sorry for what happened to him, but it's definitely less competition for valedictorian so I mean there's a plus. I'm upset about his tragic end but it ain't ours."

     My fists clenched in anger. I was about to call him out on his BS, but realized I had barely any right. I haven't been on good terms with Jungkook for years.

        We've been public enemies in the school for so long. It would be hypocritical of me to say he shouldn't say these malevolent words about him.

      Why should I be concerned? Shouldn't I have been happy that my enemy was gone? No, he wasn't just my enemy..he was my classmate. An acquaintance who I saw most days of the week. And even in one part of my life, he was my friend. And above all, Jeon Jungkook was human.

     That's how it continued for the rest of the day. Some students were traumatized about his death and left school to grieve. Some were frightened that someone so young could be gone. Some just didn't care. And some pretended to care.

      Where would I fit? I definitely did care, I felt this pang of pain in my chest. My heart felt like a glass vase that someone smashed against the floor.