Chapter 21

Betty Cooper:

The moment of destruction, everyone knew it was coming. Except for me, I happily sat beside my friends for two weeks while they all knew something I didn't. 

While they played along to the fact that I was oblivious, even Jughead. While I sat in the shadows knowing nothing. While they conspired behind my back, you're probably wondering, what are you talking about. 

Well I guess I'll just have to start from the beginning. 

                                                                                                    **

It all started on a hot sunny day, the humidity in the air causing everyone's hair to frizz. People dressed in shorts and tank tops. Their bodies glazed over with sheer sweat. 

The school day had gone by fast and we had found ourselves all sitting around a lunch table. Talking about our weekend plans, or something going on in our lives. Laughing and enjoying each others company. 

But everything changed so fast, the once light mood now slightly confused and angry.

"So have you heard anything yet," Cheryl whispered to Veronica. Maybe a little too loudly, because for some reason everyone snapped their attentions to them. Their eyes wide and mouths a gape in shock. Like it was awful that Cheryl had brought up the conversation. I on the other hand was confused, what was going on. What did everyone else know, that I didn't.

It was silent, and Cheryl had ended up placing a hand over her mouth, her eyes cast downwards as she basically scolded herself. 

And then everyone's eyes were on me. 

"What," my eyebrows furrow in confusion, the smile that had been on my face now gone.

No one said anything. 

"What is it," I demanded my eyes glancing to every person. 

Veronica was the first to speak. 

"There's something you should know," she speaks her voice strangled as if she was having trouble saying the words. 

"Okay...what's up," I question. Still confused, but now curious. 

"I found out something about me..and I didn't want to tell anyone but I had to tell Cheryl and then other people started finding out and now almost everyone knows but you," She exclaims tears glazing over her eyes. 

"V what is it," I keep asking, needing to know. The air around me becoming hotter and hotter as I sit with anticipation.

"Well since everyone's here.... I-I guess I should announce that I have cancer," She struggles to say. A tear escaping and rolling down her cheek. Leaving behind a streak of black from her mascara. 

I freeze in place, it's like the world stopped. All of the color left my face and I didn't know how to feel. It was a mixture of everything. Sadness, betrayal, sorrow, anger, confusion. 

"How come I'm the last one finding out about this," My voice staggers as my own tears appear in my eyes. 

Everyone stays quiet besides the low sob from Cheryl. Everyone's expressions full of guilt and sadness. 

"I'm sorry B..but you're my best friend I had no idea how I was going to tell you this..I wasn't even sure about it myself until last night when I got the results." She explains, full on crying now. 

I sit in silence as everyone waits for my response. As everyone takes in the news themselves, because before this they were all just aware of what could be the outcome. 

My cheeks dampened, as my vision became blurry. My surrounding going out of focus. 

"B," She basically begs me to speak. 

"Why didn't you tell me," I snapped my attention to the quiet Jughead beside me. His own eyes full of moisture. 

"It wasn't my news to tell," he mumbles under his breath. His face full of pain as his eyes plead me not to be mad at him. I shouldn't be mad at him, what he was saying was true. He shouldn't have to be the one who told me. But I was mad..I was mad at everyone in front of me. And I was even mad at myself..for not noticing all along that I was kept in the dark about such an important thing going on in my best friends life. 

"How long have you known," I ask Veronica, no expression on my face.

"For about a month," she mutters. A silent sob leaving her open mouth as she had trouble meeting my eyes. 

"What type," I question, it feels like I'll never stop crying.

"Leukemia," She stifles a cry. 

"Is it bad," 

"I don't know yet," her eyes finally meet mine, and I swear I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. How can this happen, to someone so important to me. To my best friend. 

How can we all go through the next couple of months of our lives while knowing that one of our friends is or might be dying. That she's suffering, and we can't do anything to stop it. 

My hands come up to my eyes, leaning my head down as I fully break down. Letting every emotion I'm feeling in the moment leave me. Feeling as arms wrap around me from all sides, trying their best to comfort me. But I'm not the one who needs comforting, Veronica does. 

"I'm so sorry," I hear her voice from beside me now. I lift my head to face her, soon wrapping my arms around her neck to bring her into my embrace. 

"No I'm sorry," I cry back, all of us sitting in the unbearable silence of sobs and emotions. Trying to find some way to process this awful news. 

                                                                                                 **

SORRY FOR THE SAD CHAPTER, AND YES THERE IS GOING TO BE MORE SAD CHAPTERS TO FOLLOW BUT DON'T WORRY THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BRING BUGHEAD WAY CLOSER. 

TELL ME IF YOU LIKED THIS CHANGE, OR TELL ME YOU'RE EMOTIONS WHILE READING IT. 

ALSO PLEASE IF YOU'D BE KIND TO GO CHECK OUT MY BOOK CALLED FINDING MYSELF, ABOUT TWO TEENAGE GIRLS TRYING TO FIND THEIR SELVES BUT MAYBE FINDING LOVE ALSO. I THINK YOU'LL LIKE IT, AND I'M PROUD OF HOW IT'S TURNING OUT. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING, PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT!! <3<3<3