Magical Powers

*YOUR POV*

I sighed as I sat on my bed, working on some homework. What was the point of school, anyway? To bore us to death? Because they're succeeding. I decided to take a break and went into my little sister's room. Ok, technically adopted little sister, but she's family. I heard quiet sobbing as I opened her door. "Ashley?" I saw a figure sit up under the blankets, making them slip off. My sister's short, dirty blonde hair was revealed, but I could see nothing else. I slowly walked towards her. "Ash?" She suddenly faced me, her crystal blue eyes glistening, tear tracks down her face, and a bright red handprint on her pale cheek. I gasped and ran towards her. "Ashley! Who did this to you?!" She tensed and pointed behind me at the door. I turned to see my father standing in the doorway with a belt. He smiled.

"Y/N. Step out of the way. I need to talk to Ashley." I realized what was going on and stood my ground between my father and my sister.

"No." My dad's smile dropped.

"What did you just say to me, young lady?!" I glared.

"I said no. I won't let you harm my sister." The smile returned as he shoved me into the wall, making me collapse.

"Have it your way." He raised the belt as Ashley screamed and covered her face with her hands. I felt cold fury bubbling up inside me.

"NO!!!!" I screamed, and threw up my hand instinctively. He froze. I watched in shock as ice quickly coated him mid-swing. I looked at my hands, then up at my sister, who seemed terrified. Before I could stop her, she climbed out the window and ran. "Ashley, wait!" But I was too late. She was gone. I stood carefully and pushed over the now statue. I watched it shatter into a million sparkling pieces of ice and knew I couldn't stay here. I packed up all my stuff and set out to find someplace that would accept me, new found magic and all.