Here Comes The Hammer (Steve Rogers x Reader)

Start from the beginning

"This is my fault," Steve said, looking at me with his brow furrowed. "I shouldn't have walked into the room like that."

"This was my fear," Thor said powerfully, shooting his arm up to motion to me. "I did not want her to get hurt."

Steve opened his mouth to say something but I interrupted as I sat forward. "WOAH, guys... this was MY fault. I let myself get distracted." I slumped back against the pillow, starting to feel the room moving around me.

Steve moved closer to me and put his head down under mine to look in my eyes. "I'm a little worried about your concussion," he said.

Oh, right... a concussion.

"It's okay, Nat will stay with me," I said, looking over at her.

She shook her head no. "I have to get ready for my flight to Russia."

"I'll stay with you," Steve said firmly.

"I'm right here," Thor said, somewhat impatiently. Steve glanced at him and then Thor said, "Actually, I've got some things to do." Thor stood up to leave and I looked up at him.

"I'm not upset with you, I appreciate that you tried to help," I said, reaching out to grab his hand.

He gave me a warm smile and squeezed my hand, "You're scrappy, little one. Rest up."

Nat stopped at the bed to give me a hug. "I'll call you later and check on you," she said before she followed Thor out the door.

As I turned back to Steve, he had a faint smile on his face, the kind of smile where I could tell he was tired. Probably feeling defeated. I knew he wasn't happy with the fact that I had gotten hurt when he'd been the one to put me in that position. I patted the bed next to me and scooted over to make room for him.

He hesitated but then he crawled over next to me. There wasn't enough room, really. But I didn't care. "It's not your fault," I said.

"I didn't want to see you get hurt," he said, glancing at my forehead. "But I'm glad you're taking it so well."

I lifted my hand to touch my forehead and he said "You might not wanna do..." but it was too late, I had already touched the tender lump along my hairline.

"So gross," I said, jokingly. My head was pounding but I didn't want to be whiney about it. I closed my eyes and laid my head back.

"Let me turn the lights off," he said and slid away from me to walk to the light switch. "We called the doctor to come see you... " he looked at his watch. " I would imagine he'll be here soon." He returned to his spot next to me.

The head pounding and room spinning was better with the lights off but it was still a bit much to take. Leaning my head closer to him, I didn't even open my eyes to ask "Steve, is it okay to go to sleep?" I knew better but that's all I really wanted to do right now.

"No, honey, don't do that," he said and put his arm around me. "I'm going to stay here, you keep talking to me." I let my body fall closer to his, feeling how warm he was. That sensation was a comfort to me at the moment.

"What do you want to talk about?" he asked, sweetly.

I couldn't think, nothing was happening up there. Between the pain in my head and the fluttering in my stomach from having him so close, my brain was a goner.

"You still with me?" he asked, looking down at me.

"Mmm hmm," I said with a little moan. "I was being stupid and trying to impress you," I confessed, accidentally.

"Well, you did... if that makes you feel any better. You were holding your own until I barged in there," he said. "Why do you feel like you need to impress me?"