Chapter Thirty-Two.

Start from the beginning

I said nothing for a moment. He was right to a degree, but there was no way I would admit that.

“Yeah, well, I have my ways.” I spoke, quieter this time.

It was his turn to pause then. He shook his head, a slight smile pulling at his lips as he stared at me.

“Don’t I know it...” He murmured.

I frowned. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing.” He reached out again. “Just give me the bottle.”

I pouted just a little, probably looking like a child. I was trying my absolute hardest not to act like an idiot through my drunkenness, but I could tell I had already failed.

“Why do you have to ruin my fun?” I asked, huffing slightly.

“I’m looking out for you.” His hand reached out further, almost getting the bottle, though I pulled it away again. “Give it to me, Midge. I swear to God, just give me the bottle.”

I narrowed my eyes and finally gave in, shoving the bottle into his hands as I muttered angrily to myself about not needing anyone to look out for me. He immediately began driving as I continued my drunken, pissed off ramblings. I wasn’t intending Zacky to hear, but it was just my luck that he did.

He scowled. “Yeah, because you’re really proving that right now.”

My guard rose ever so slightly. I didn’t want him to think that I was weak and defenceless. I’d never had anyone to look out for me through my life and I didn’t need anyone now.

“I’ve done fine on my own for seventeen years...I think I’ll be okay.” I mirrored his annoyed expression.

“Evidently not.”

It was then I grew properly pissed off. I didn’t need comments like that, even if it was from the guy that I held ridiculous feelings for.

“You know what?” I snapped. “I don’t need your fucking opinions. Let me out of the car.”

As soon as the words left my mouth, he locked the doors. “What are you playing at?”

“What the fuck do you mean what am I playing at?” I glared.

“You run off...get yourself in a state...and then try to go again!” He raised his voice. “What is going on with you? Where did you even go?”

“I told you I went across town!”

Why?” He continued to question.

He was pissing me off more than I had been in a long time. I wasn’t sure what it was, whether it was a combination between the anger behind his voice and all the questions, but I could feel myself getting angry. And emotional.

“Because I got invited to some guy’s house!” I matched the volume of his voice. “What’s with all the questions?”

He glanced at me. “What guy?”

“I don’t know who the owner of the house was, but I got invited by that guy from the station.” I paused, thinking about it. “I bumped into him...his name’s Ronnie.”

Immediately, he clenched his jaw, his knuckles turning white as his hand tightened around the steering wheel. I was surprised by his reaction to say the least...almost as if the mention of the name had him fuming.

Radke?” He spat.

My eyebrows shot up. Ronnie was such a common name. How come everyone seemed to know him around here except me?