Chapter 18: Lightbulb

Start from the beginning

Mum turned to Dad in an accusatory manner, "Are you sure she ate properly, Leander?"

"Of course she did, don't worry so much. Let's get some lunch if you're ready to go, the car's waiting."

Mum straightened up and patted my hand lightly before letting go. I pulled myself together and got to my feet. Dad helped Mum into one of his jackets and she wiggled the empty sleeves at Dad and he chuckled lightly before hugging her. I couldn't help but smile as I saw how much they loved each other. They hadn't spoken to each other about anything, and I wondered why Mum hadn't asked about Josh or the flat. Knowing Dad though, I'm sure he told her everything before he picked me up from school. Boyce led us out from the ward all the way to the car, and Mum didn't question that either. I wondered how life must've been like for her in Greece when Josh and I were little. Maybe she was used to be escorted to places when Dad was in the picture. She looked at me as if hearing my thoughts and smiled reassuringly, confirming my theories.

"I have high hopes for this restaurant, it's supposed to be a four star. Do you like Italian food, Holly?"

"Yeah it's great, pizza is my favourite but I like ravioli too. Remember you made it for us once Mum? Josh spat it out when he tasted the broccoli," I said through a blocked nose. Smiling at the memory, I clicked my seatbelt on and leant on Mum's shoulder.

"Oh yes, he refused to finish it! I think it's delicious though, really filling. I'm really craving some salmon though, I wonder if they have any fish on the menu."

I watched Dad's expression for any reaction at the mention of Josh's name, but he smiled openly and I allowed myself to feel some hope. Maybe they had found Josh. I really missed him now, and tried not to let my newfound hope die.

Mum and Dad chatted away about the restaurant and different methods of cooking fish until we reached the restaurant. I didn't have the heart to ask Dad about Josh, not when he was carefree and happy with Mum. Boyce stepped out of the car and I nervously walked up to him. Robotic as he was, I found him more genuine than Adrian, who even now stared at me from the corner of his eye.

"Um, sorry, Boyce? Could I speak to you please?"

He folded his hands behind his back. "You are speaking to me right now."

I laughed nervously, unsure whether or not he was joking. "Ah yeah, well, I was wondering if you could tell me about my brother, Josh? Did the guy – agent Darius, find him?" I asked hesitantly.

Boyce's grey eyes seemed to soften but he blinked too quickly for me to be sure. "Darius found a trail, we're very close to reaching him now." His prominent Adam's apple bobbed down as he swallowed. "Don't worry, Josh is in safe hands, it's just a matter of getting them back without drawing attention."

I smiled at Boyce's show of empathy, it was nice to see that there was a human underneath after all.

"Shall we go in Holly?" Dad called out and Boyce turned around so fast that I swear some of my hair flew up.

I glanced at the sign board of the restaurant disinterestedly. Ricci's. I'd never been a foodie, and restaurants always made me feel more awkward than I already was. Mum looked happy though and it made me smile. I could suffer through it for her and Dad. We were allocated a table near the back of the lavish restaurant, but I was more interested in Boyce's admission. 'Them', who was with Josh? Surely he couldn't have meant Darius, who was a trained agent, so who was it?

A lithe waiter greeted us at the door. "Hello, welcome to Ricci's. Table for five?" He was well groomed, and his heavily accented voice added to the elegance.

The restaurant had a relaxed atmosphere but it was very clean and orderly. The waiter handed us menu and I tried not to rub the smooth leather binding.