Resting Place

Levy's P.O.V.

I heard Gajeel stand up, heard the growled words as he spoke to Juvia, although my brain couldn't connect what he was saying. I knew that I should be with the other kids, they'd be out of their minds with worry. I should let them know what happened, tell them... I couldn't finish the thought as I started crying again, clinging to the child in my arms. He could have been my brother. There had been this incredible thirst for knowledge in him that I connected with so greatly, because I remembered being there. I knew that feeling. I started humming a song I knew from my own youth, but couldn't remember the words to. I wanted to believe I had learned it from my parents, but I didn't know. It was in another language, from another country, and had been part of the reason I wanted to learn every language I could. I'd always wanted to know what it was I was singing, but then I'd forgotten everything but the tune. I felt a hand on my shoulder, but I couldn't stop the song. I had to finish it, had to sing it for the little brother I'd never had, who didn't have parents to sing him lullabies. Gajeel was gone, my other kids were gone, there was only me and James.

After a time, Juvia stood up and walked to the edge of what used to be my second home. I heard soft words exchanged between her and Natsu, and then silence fell again. A small part of my mind was marvelling at how long Natsu had been standing guard so quietly. I don't think I'd ever seen him stay quiet for so long in his life, even when he was sleeping. There were voices behind me again as I ended my song, and I opened my eyes to realize darkness had fallen already. Had it really been a day? Just last night we were having a party and welcoming Lisanna home... and now I had to say goodbye to another family member. Footsteps were approaching me and I brushed a hand over my face, struggling to not begin crying again as I looked up, barely seeing him in the darkness. The moon was hidden behind clouds and there was nothing to illuminate the area, as if the world was mourning as much as I was.

"Shrimp, I need ya. Let me take him." I think if it had been anyone else I would have screamed, but I just nodded. Gajeel knelt in front of me, placing one hand over mine when it refused to let go. I tried, but I couldn't make my fingers do what I needed them to. He gently pulled at my hands, easing my grip until he could pull the boy into his own arms. James was gently cradled against him, in the darkness almost mistakable for a child merely sleeping. I followed him towards where the door to the warehouse used to be, pausing to hug Juvia tightly.

"Thank you." I whispered, feeling her squeeze me gently in response before she let go, turning to Natsu. "Juvia does not think there is any danger of rekindling at this point, but if Natsu-san thinks it necessary she can douse the area again?" The Dragon Slayer shook his head, glancing at the building. "I don't smell anything, I think we should get headed back to the guild. I don't want to leave that kid alone too long." I glanced at him in alarm, thinking immediately of defending Kasai. Surprising me again, Natsu pulled me into a hug. "Shh, it's okay Levy. I'm not saying this is his fault. But I know how he's feeling right now, and I might be able to help."

I hugged him tightly, trying to hold back more tears. I had a feeling I was going to be tired of crying pretty soon. The Fire Dragon Slayer stepped back, patting me on the head and smiling. "Go deal with what you need to, we've got the rest of this under control." I nodded and turned to see where Gajeel was. He'd stopped at the end of the street, waiting blankly for me to catch up with him. Just as I was about to run after him, something in the rubble caught my eye. I stumbled to it, picking the item up and cradling it against my chest as tears spilled over my cheeks again. As I caught up with him, the Dragon Slayer saw what I was holding and closed his eyes a moment before nodding and turning to walk towards the woods again.

We walked for only a short time before coming to the foot of a mountain. There was a narrow trail leading up, and I started up it when Gajeel paused at the entrance. It was an easy incline, for the most part, although there were a few times I stumbled in the darkness or had to almost crawl to clear a ridge. Somehow Gajeel didn't seem hindered at all, even with his added burden. As we neared the end of the trail, I stopped, breathing deeply to catch my breath. Ahead of me was a darkness that somehow trumped the lack of light we'd already been dealing with and I glanced over my shoulder at the Dragon Slayer behind me. He nodded and slipped past me, walking into the mouth of the cave. I flicked two fingers in the air, writing a word that only glowed faintly, light feeling too profane at this moment.