Training

Gajeel's P.O.V.

My nostrils flared as I smelled paper and ink, and I stopped myself just before I started searching for the tiny woman. I knew she wasn't around. She'd left a few days ago on a mission, but I kept smelling her. Or seeing flashes of blue that looked like her hair. Or hearing her laugh. What the hell is wrong with me? I couldn't believe how much she was on my mind since she left. I growled in frustration, and decided I needed to leave the guildhall. It was only just after breakfast, but I didn't really have any reason to stick around. Old lady Porlyusica finally took my bandages off today and cleared me for all activity. I thudded out, slamming the door behind me, and went home. I just need to do something other than sit around. I'd been working with the orphans every evening, but that didn't really keep my muscles in use; the brats hardly had any physical strength yet, so I didn't have to use mine at all.

I left my door open and grabbed the back of my shirt, pulling it over my head. I dropped it where I was standing, and looked around my living room. I'd converted most of it into a weight room. Walking over to a set of shelves, I turned on my workout music, loud and thumping. It got my heart racing and kept me moving. Hahahaha, let the sparks fly... There's no such thing as maybe, burn it like it's fading, no more hesitating let the sparks fly baby... Then I pushed open the window, allowing a cross breeze to push my hair out of my face. I snagged a red bandana and tied it around my forehead to keep my hair out of my eyes, and I was ready.

Hmm, I'll do squats first. That takes enough concentration I can get her out of my mind. I walked over to the bar, stretching out my arm and shoulder muscles. I positioned myself under the bar hanging on the wall, took a grip, and lifted it down onto my shoulders. I staggered a little as I stepped forward, Damn, I'm more out of practice than I thought. I got my balance, and began my exercise.

Give me one if it's real and two if you can feel it, give me three signs that you're awake. I let settled myself into a rhythm with the song, intently focused on what I was doing. I lost track of how long I was doing squats, enjoying the burn in my muscles. I started to feel like someone was staring at me though, so I stopped what I was doing, straightening all the way and letting the bar drop off my shoulders.  I looked around and didn't see anyone, and of course I couldn't hear anything over the music. That was part of why I had it so loud.

I shook off the feeling that someone had been watching me and put the bar back on its rack, then pulled some fingerless gloves with a little padding across the knuckles onto my hands. Clenching my fists a few times and shaking my arms out, I approached the heavy bag in the corner as the next song began. Again I allowed the thundering beat to pull me into a rhythm. Boom! Slam went my fist. Here comes the boom! Ready or not, a few quick jabs. Boom! Here comes the boom! How you like me now? Heh, this is always a fun song to hit things to.

Suddenly, the wind shifted, blowing in the window instead of my open door and I smelled her again. Paper, ink, and a little fear. I froze, a panic in my gut as I remembered swinging my fists into a tiny body. I remembered the hollow sound of her head colliding with a wall and almost threw up. I felt my arms shaking, but not from the exertion of my workout. I whirled towards the window, intending to get some fresh air to clear my head. But instead, I locked eyes with a blue haired woman looking into my window. "Shrimp?" Her eyes were wide, her cheeks flushed, and she took off running.

I bolted out the door, catching her as she rounded the corner of my house, and grabbed her arm carefully. She was already afraid, I didn't want to make it worse. I held it long enough for her to realize I was there and stop running, then dropped my hand. "Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't expect to see ya here. I didn't think anyone knew where I live." I backed up a step as she took a few slow breaths to calm down.

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry.  I was trespassing. I didn't actually know where you lived, I was just walking around and heard the music. I was looking for you though..." She trailed off and looked away, as if she was embarrassed. I fought to keep the surprise off my face, and the smile I felt hiding just under the surface. "Looking for me? Why? I didn't even know you were back." 

"I figured out how I want to be paid for my help with the kids." She blurted, still not looking at me. I ignored the strange sinking in my stomach. Why did you THINK she was looking for you, dummy? "Yeah? And how's that, Tiny?" Immediately I felt bad for using the nickname, even though I don't usually. Hearing it seemed to actually make her sad. Usually it irritated her and I had to admit, if only to myself, I was beginning to enjoy arguing with the bluenette.

"I- um. Well, never mind. See ya!" She turned to leave, and I took a few quick steps so I was blocking her path. "Levy, I'm sorry. Please tell me?" I could practically feel the heat coming off her cheeks, but I couldn't figure out what in the world she was so embarrassed about. "Levy?"

********************
Levy's P.O.V.

Muscles. Rippling muscles, right in front of my face. That's not fair when I'm trying to think! Gajeel had stepped right in front of me, his shirtless chest only inches away. My face was burning so hot in sure he could probably feel it. My mind was both blank and racing, trying to come up with something to say, and my hands were itching to reach out and touch him. What the heck is wrong with me?!

It didn't help that he said my actual name. Twice. I don't know why it hit me so profoundly when he did that. Finally, after what seemed like hours, the butterflies in my stomach calmed down enough that I could blurt out, "Train me! Let me train with the kids so I'm not so weak and useless anymore!" That worked to get my thoughts cleaned up. Great, now I have to try not to cry. I clenched my fists, digging my nails into my palms, hoping the pain would clear my head some more. "I can't train with the people in the guild because no one wants to hurt a pathetic little bookworm, and how could they not feel like that? They're so much stronger! But the kids are probably on the same level as me! Maybe. Even some of them are probably tougher than me." Nope, there's the tears. Dang it.

I briskly wiped my cheeks and looked up at the man standing in front of me. I don't know what I expected to see, maybe disgust for such a display of emotions and weakness. But instead, I saw tenderness, his beautiful red eyes gentler than I'd ever seen them. He looked at me a moment, and then he just nodded. "Okay. That'll work. I'm sure they'll be okay with that. They'll understand you pretty well, too. The whole reason I'm teaching them is because they already hit the point you just reached." He stepped back towards the inside of his house, then looked back at me. "C'mon. Lemme see what you've got, and I'll figure out a training plan."

I do believe that was the biggest shock yet. He didn't argue with me, didn't laugh, didn't call me any names. I mutely followed him into his house, looking around as my curiosity got the better of me. The room I walked into was completely decked out with training equipment, with the exception of a huge comfy looking couch against one wall. It looked like it was one of those big fluffy couches that tries to eat you in when you sit down.

My eyes landed on Gajeel, and I realized he was watching me. I flushed, looking down at my feet. What have I gotten myself into?