End of the Night

Bleh, this chapter title sucks. >_< Let me know if you have any better ideas.
How's the story going so far? I'd love some feedback!

********************

Levy's P.O.V.

I left the room Gajeel had dragged me into as quickly as I could without running. I found the table full of food scraps, though there was a plate set neatly aside with various things on it. "Miss? We saved some food for you." A sweet little boy with dark blue hair was tugging on my shirt. I looked down and smiled at him. "Thank you James." These kids may have been taught to fear kindness, but I was going to reeducate them. Goodness shouldn't be so tainted in ones so young.

I grabbed my plate and ate quickly. It was really kind of late, and I'd promised the kids another story before I left. They had definitely earned it. As I stuffed food into my mouth, not worrying about manners any more than the kids did, I thought about which one to read this time. I finally settled on the one where the young maid is treated like a slave by her family, then rescued by a fairy godmother. It struck me as something the kids might connect with. I mean, I do belong to Fairy Tail.

"James, would you mind bringing me the story book?" He was sitting nearest to it, and leapt up in excitement at my request. I set my plate back on the table and took the large tome from the boy. "Alright. I'll read one more story before I go. You all did so well today, you've definitely earned it." I looked around the room before launching into my story. When did Gajeel come back in?

********************
Gajeel's P.O.V.

I walked back into the main room only moments after Levy, but she didn't seem to notice. I almost missed her, actually, thinking she'd decided to run out instead of eating. She's about the same height as half the kids, and she was eating just like them, shoveling everything in like someone was going to snatch it. I almost laughed, but I didn't want to bring about her wrath.

I'd eaten while collecting food, and told Ryos not to save me any, so I just found a stack of boxes to perch on and survey the room. I think the day went well, but I'd have to ask Shrimp's opinion to know how the kids did. She seemed pretty comfortable with them.

She settled into her chair once she was done inhaling her food, and asked one of the kids to bring her the storybook. I saw her eyes skim over me as she prepared to read one last story. I found myself almost as excited as I could tell the kids were. Her voice had magic properties when she was reading. Not like an actual spell, but it felt like it. You were transported into the story, making you feel like you were there, and felt completely at home, safely listening.

I closed my eyes again to better focus on her voice as she began telling a story of a girl who was abused by the family that was supposed to protect her after her father's death. I actually knew this story, and that it would strike a chord with some of my brats. This one's a good choice.

When she'd finished her story, we left the children to their devices and headed towards the guild. Neither one of us said anything for the first few blocks. I was surprised at how reluctant I was to break the companionable silence. I was also very aware of the small woman walking next to me. She was happy, almost bouncing as she walked.

"Well Shrimp," I finally said, "how'd they do?" She lost some of her bounce as she thought back over the day. "Most of them did really well. I think they've all had a little bit of education at some point. There were a few who didn't actively participate, but that's okay. Different people learn differently. Even the little ones." She looked at me slyly, and I realized she'd made fun of herself with that statement too.