Musings

Levy's P.O.V.

It's been two weeks. I've gone with Gajeel almost every night now for two weeks straight. I feel stronger, at least a little. My arms have started losing the little bit of flab I had, and my stomach too. He had me doing push ups, sit ups, lunges, some exercises with weights, AND practicing defense techniques with the kids. Every. Night. I was so tired, I barely had energy to shower before passing out by the time I got home.

I'd told Jet and Droy I was so tired because I'd been rearranging bookshelves in my apartment. Since I live in Fairy Hills, they're not allowed in, so they couldn't come help me anyway. They wouldn't know I had been lying to them. I hated lying to them, but I knew they wouldn't understand. Wouldn't understand why I was helping Gajeel, keeping the kids secret, or even why I was trying to get stronger. They'd be hurt, thinking I didn't trust them to keep me safe. I did, mostly, but I didn't want to have to.

I was lying on my bed, an arm thrown over my eyes to keep the sun out of them, trying to convince myself to get up. My sore legs, we'd focused on legs yesterday, were protesting and I hadn't even tried to use them yet. The kids were doing great, doing all of the same exercises as me. They had agreed to let me train with them as payment for the reading lessons. And I offered to teach them basic maths too. I was really having a lot of fun, sore muscles aside.

I finally talked myself into getting up and dressed, wearing an orange halter dress that was trimmed with my usual detached sleeves and a headband that matched it around my head. I had to let out the band on my sleeves, just a little, my new muscles making them too tight. Finally, I pulled on some thigh-high black stockings and slipped my feet into black ankle booties. I was taking today off from working out, so I could wear clothes that were more cute than functional. Maybe Lucy will go out with me later? I could use some girl time.

Presentable at last, I headed out to the guildhall for lunch. I'd slept through breakfast. Again. That had been happening almost every day this week. I walked in and saw Lucy at a table with Natsu, Gray, and Erza. Happy was perched on Natsu's shoulder like a bird. Gajeel was sitting at the bar, munching on some iron bits. I walked up to the bar and stood next to him, and asked Mirajane for some food. While she was getting it around, I gave Gajeel a friendly smile and said "Good morning!" He raised a studded eyebrow and looked at me. "Hey." He looked at Mira, and glanced around to see if anyone was watching. "What's up?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to say good morning." I saw Mira watching us out of the corner of her eye, and Gray was watching too. Lucy probably told him to, since he was facing this way and her back was to me. I sighed a little, "I just... I'm not scared of you anymore, and wanted to say hi. That's all. Thanks for the food, Mirajane!" And I walked away. I almost laughed at the confusion in his face. He knew I wasn't afraid of him, much, because we'd been together almost every night at the kids' warehouse. But I was tired of how everyone else was treating him, so I figured I'd start letting them all see that he wasn't a terrible person.

"Lu-chan! Want to go out with me tonight?" I asked my friend as I sat down at the table. She smiled at me, "Sure! Anything specific?" I shook my head and chewed the food I had stuffed into my mouth. "Ooh, want to go get pedicures?!" She got excited, putting her hand to her face as she continued, "and I can have Cancer do our hair! We could go shopping! Oh! And there's a new book out I want to go get!" I laughed as she kept going. "Sure, Lu! That all sounds great!"

I kept eating as we discussed our plans. At one point, Natsu tried to invite himself along, but Lucy put a stop to that pretty quick. "Geez, you idiot. They want to have girl time, you don't want to be around for that." Gray chipped in. "Who're you calling an idiot, ice princess?!" Natsu yelled as he stepped up on the table. Lucy groaned, and I just sat back a bit with what was left of my food. "You, Flame Brain!" And there went Gray's shirt.