Beginning Lessons

Hi! So I'm starting this before I finish the first book, which is terrible, I know. If you're confused at all, go read Behind the Scenes, and if you're still confused, let me know. I'll do what I can to clear it up for ya. Vote so I know you like it, since I'm trying some new stuff in this one!

********************
Gajeel's P.O.V.

It's harder to be sneaky, wearing all these bright white bandages. Master has a healer friend who could come help us, but she hates humans. She's not very fond of me, to put it lightly, after all of the trouble I caused. I really don't blame her. But, it makes it harder to get to the orphans without being seen. I'd only been back once since starting on this "job." It's also hard for me to train the little bastards in my current state, so I decided to work on their language skills, teaching them to read and write.

When I thumped on the door, Sam threw it open with a squeal. She jumped at me, throwing her arms around my stomach. "Oof! Hey, kid! What'd I tell ya 'bout doin' that?!" Little brat almost knocked me on my ass. She let go and jumped backwards, flushing in embarrassment. "I'm sorry, Gajeel-sensei! You're hurt!" She threw her hands over her face, then bowed a little before running into the shadows of the orphans' home. I sighed and followed her in, looking around to make sure no one has been watching. I hadn't heard or smelled anyone.

The building was an old warehouse that hadn't been used in years. There was a huge main area, which would work really well for the magic lessons, though the lighting was terrible. Along one wall were several small rooms that had once been offices. The kids divided those amongst themselves, though there were still two or three in each room.

I thumped over to the chair they'd set aside as mine, and dropped into it heavily. Man, I'm going to be glad to get back to normal. I don't think I'll ever take free movement for granted again. I pulled my bag off my back and rummaged around, digging out the books I'd stolen from that store. Had it really only been a week? I spread them out on the table as Ryos and a few others came into the main room. The black haired boy who looked like me didn't seem to like me very much. Every time he thought I wasn't looking, he'd fix a glare at me. Is that what dad used to say about a nasty look on my face? Heh. I'd heard him call me "Black Steel" once or twice to the other littles, so maybe I'd done something to him or his family when I'd been with Phantom.

Fitz, the redheaded leader, started leafing through one of the books. Wonder and frustration crossed his face at the same time. I remember that feeling. Dad had knocked me into a pile of books and told me I had to learn how to read so I could function as a normal human. "Why the hell would I want to do that?" I'd growled at him. "Humans are weak and useless. They've got nothing on dragons!" Metalicana had leveled his sternest glare at me when I said that. "Never forget, my child. Though you are my son, you are still human! Don't ever let go of your humanity. And wipe that nasty look off your face!" He'd thumped me with a fist when I tried to glare back at him.

"Gihi, yeah, that's a common reaction to books, kid." Fitz whipped his head up to glare at me, earning himself another laugh. I knew I shouldn't, but there was nothing scary about him at all. "Alright, gather everyone up, and we'll start this." The rest of the kids poured into the room at his call, and arranged themselves on the floor around my feet.  Here goes nothing.