Chapter 19

Shannon was spending yet another afternoon in Kelly's salon, this time getting her nails done. However, more than anything it was an excuse to talk to someone about Joe. Kelly was her only friend who knew the full story and at least she wasn't disapproving, not exactly.

'I've cut my hours down at work,' she told Kelly not wanting to instantly launch into a tale of woe.

'Why?'

'It's so boring, and I'm tired all the time. I need to find another job, this isn't exactly challenging.' They both looked up as the door opened and a dark hair woman strutted over.

'Hey, you're Shannon right?' Shannon thought she looked vaguely familiar but she couldn't place her.

'Oh hi Danielle,' Kelly said with fake pleasure. 'What brings you here?'

Danielle ignored her, her attention on Shannon. 'I just wanted to let Shannon know that Katherine and Joe are happy,' she snarled. Shannon felt herself start to blush and looked down momentarily.

'We all know they're totally loved up,' Kelly said tersely. 'But it sounds like you've forgotten that.'

Danielle frowned, clearly wrong-footed by the comment. 'I've not forgotten but your friend's overstepping the mark.'

Shannon found her voice. 'You don't know what you're talking about. If Katherine or Joe have a problem with me then they can tell me themselves.'

'Yeah but they won't because they have some dignity unlike you,' Danielle snapped and Shannon's face flushed with anger.

'Danielle it's hardly dignified coming here and berating one of my customers,' Kelly said her tone icy. 'This is a professional establishment and I'm going to have to ask you to leave.'

Danielle rolled her eyes. 'Just stay away from Joe,' she said to Shannon, giving them both a look of contempt before she left the salon.

'God,' Shannon exclaimed letting out a deep breath.

Kelly shook her head. 'This is only gonna get worse Shan. People are working out that you and Joe are more than friends.'

Shannon's eyebrows knotted together. 'I don't see how.' Only Donnie possibly had an idea of what was really going on.

'Kat's obviously been venting to her friends, and they see you as a threat,' Kelly said as she resumed painting her nails. 'But forget about them, Joe's getting married, and he's messing you around. I'd tell him to make a choice or I'd make that choice for him.'

'I guess,' Shannon murmured. 'But I think Katherine would be his choice, and so she should be.'

'Why?' Kelly looked up abandoning her nails for a moment. 'The fact that he's been with you speaks volumes as to how committed he really is. Why are you selling yourself short?'

'Because I'm not sure he'd be any more committed to me,' Shannon admitted. 'I think it's an old times sake sort of thing with him, and if that's the case he should go ahead and marry Kat.'

Kelly looked at her doubtfully but she didn't say any more and Shannon was grateful. She kept reminding herself that Joe had been happy to get married a few months ago, she was nothing more than a blip in the road. She had to end it before she fell any deeper.

~~~~

Katherine sat up in bed watching Joe get ready for work. Having worked Saturday she had the day off in lieu.

'I bumped into Donnie at the gym,' she said and Joe raised his eyebrow in inquiry. 'It was weird, he didn't seem to remember going out with you the other night, he was moaning he'd barely seen you.' She watched him closely and she was almost certain he paused just a fraction too long.