Chapter 17

'So how are you enjoying your long weekend?' Kelly asked Shannon when they met up for a drink after Kelly's work out in the gym. Shannon glanced around at the people drinking protein shakes and smoothies while she twirled the spoon around in her coffee. 'Wouldn't you like to know,' she said trying not to smile.

Kelly gaped at her. 'Something's happened I can tell,' she said her eyes brightening. 'Is it Donnie?'

'No Donnie's just a friend,' Shannon said thinking that if only she could fall for him life would be so much simpler.

'So not Donnie but someone?' Kelly asked slyly.

Shannon nodded, a smile playing on her face. 'I guess you could say I've taken a trip down memory lane.'

Kelly gasped, faux shocked. 'Oh my god, you mean Joey? I should have known, he has never got over you.'

'Do you really think so?' Shannon asked trying to temper her own enthusiasm.

Kelly's smile faded slightly, her eyebrows coming together in a frown. 'Shan he's getting married.'

Tell me something I don't know, Shannon thought as she resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

Kelly let out a long mock groan. 'Shit, I'm doing the bridal party's hair and makeup. Thank god I took a deposit.'

'Kelly can you not think about work for once,' Shannon said irritably.

'It's my livelihood. But seriously Shan, Joey's getting married, what do you think he's playing at?'

'I don't know,' she admitted chewing her lip. 'It's been so long since I've been involved with anyone I don't think I can see straight.'

Kelly snorted. 'You must have some sort of idea if he's using you or not.' She paused as if choosing her next words carefully. 'And since he's getting married I'd say that indicates you're nothing more than a booty call.'

'Way to bring me down Kell,' she said her shoulders sagging.

Kelly's face softened. 'I'd love nothing more for you to meet the man of your dreams. I know what you went through and I'd hate to see you hurt again.'

Shannon nodded, she knew Kelly of all people was on her side. 'I really don't know what to do. Joey said he wants to see me again, and I want to see him.' Her hands knotted together in her lap and she made herself straighten them. 'I think I want him back.'

~~~~

Katherine had left home early that morning to do a spot of shopping and then meet up with Eva and Danielle for lunch. They were supposed to be discussing their bridesmaid duties but Kat would rather think about anything else, every time she thought about the wedding anxiety clawed at her. She'd been tempted to cancel her lunch plans and go home but she couldn't bear to be around Joe, their conversation the previous evening had sickened her.

'So how're things going with the monster in law?' Eva joked while Kat looked through the menu for something to order despite her non-existent appetite.

She put the menu down still undecided. 'Actually, Margaret's been fine. To be fair I can't complain about her.'

'Oh and we thought we were in for a bitch fest,' Danielle said her mouth turning down in mock disappointment.

'Well we could still have one,' Katherine said taking a sip of water as she considered the wisdom of confiding in her friends. 'How about Joe's been secretly meeting up with his ex, apparently he's her new confidant.' There was a pause as two pairs of eyes widened.

'What!' Eva exclaimed reacting first.

'I knew she was a bitch,' Danielle said self righteously, her voice rising. 'I could tell when she came in the salon. She has this sly, man stealer look about her.'