5

~~Dan's POV~~

When I read those words, I instantly felt my heart break. Although, I don't know why. Phil and I had known each other for 3 days, why would i expect him to like me? I'm not even sure why I like him. 

For one, he is incredibly rude. He is a bully, he called me a fag on my first day of school. He seams to not care for any ones else's well being but his own. Second, he is a 'bad boy.' Those are usually the type of people I try to avoid. After thinking about Phil instead of paying attention in class, I finally realize why I'm so interested in him.

He's broken, just like me.

I knew it. every time i look into his eyes, I see something familiar. I, until now, could not place my finger on it. I see in Phil, what I see when i look into the mirror. Betrayal. Guilt. Sadness. 

After realizing this, I feel bad. I feel bad for Phil Lester. Something inside of me makes me just want to hug him, but that would make a big scene in the  middle of class. If I can't comfort him that way, I'll have to come  Instead, I look back down at the note. I began to write something back to him.

"How does ice cream and a walk sound?"

~~~~~

~~Phil's POV~~

I look down at the note. Ice cream and a walk? That sounds like an actual date scenario. What is this boy playing at? Still very confused, I write him back.

"Sounds nice."

~~~~~

~~Dan's POV~~

The day goes by happier and faster now that Phil and I are going on a 'date.' I am still not exactly sure what to call it, but i happily skip off to lunch. Actually, I more skip and trip into the lunch room. PJ, one of Phil's friends, trips me.

"Oh look guys, it seams like gaylord here has fallen for me." PJ and all of his friends, minus Phil, laughs. Phil sits there looking guilty and walks away right after I see him. 

I lay there on the ground holding my right elbow. It is throbbing and it really hurts. People are passing by and stepping over me like I am invisible. I just want to cry, I thought things were going to be good today. 

I started to help myself off the floor, when I heard a friendly, not so familiar, voice ask, "Do you need help there?"

I reject his offer, hoping it's not one for PJ's friends. when I start getting up, he helps me anyway.

"Are you okay?" He asked me with a worried face. Something about it told me that he was being sincere and kind.

"I guess," I said still rubbing my elbow. I was hoping he would go away, but he didn't.

"Do you want to sit with me?" He asks me shyly. I looked up at him, looking for anything that would tell me that this was a bad idea and I should run while I could. I found nothing.

I gave him a small smile, "sure."

I quietly follow him to a table in the back of the cafeteria. "No one likes to come back here, so they won't bother us and take our table," the boy says. I just nodded and sat down. "I'm Chris, by the way." he stuck out his hand to shake.

I shook his hand, "Dan." I talk as little as I can, still a little out of breath from tripping earlier.

"Ah, the new kid," Chris said with a smile. "Is that why they bully you?" He asks, his smile dropping.

"N-no.." I said, PJ's words echoing in my head. 'It seams like gaylord has fallen for me.'  Their laughs piercing my brain. I squeeze my eyes shut. "I guess being gay is worth picking on people for," I finish.

"Oh," Chris said, "I get it, I got bullied by them too." He frowns. 

"For being gay?" I look up at Chris.

"Something like that." He laughs. "Except I like girls too."

~~~~~

~~Phil's POV~~ 

The bell that signaled lunch to be over pulls me out of my thought. Time passes by fast when you worry about your friends. I guess Dan really is my friend, I think. I look across the cafeteria to try to find him, I don't see him. I hope he is okay. 

I'll see him later on, I have to stop worrying. 

The day goes by slowly, but I manage to get through it and head to the park. I sit and wait for Dan to arrive. I constantly look down at my watch, waiting and waiting. I put my head down and look at the ground. 

Where is he?

I pull out my phone to text him.

~~~~~

~~Dan's POV~~

After school, Chris offers to walk me home, to 'insure I got home safe,' but I can tell this was more than that.

After realizing what this was going to be, I got quiet. He asks if I am okay, I only nod not knowing anything else to say.

But I soon realize that I made the wrong decision.

Chris laces his fingers with mine. "Dan, what ever is bothering you, you can tell me," he said with a soft, sincere smile. 

I just look at our hands and then at him. I hesitate before pulling away, because something about it felt right, but way too much of it felt so wrong.

"Chris, I didn't mean to give you any idea that..." I trail off. 

he looks down at the ground and stuck his hands in his pocket. "I'm sorry Dan," he said with a crack in his voice as if her were going to cry. 

"It's okay, I just....I have to go," i run off to my house leaving Chris there. I feel really bad, but what I did would have hurt less than if i wouldn't have stopped him.

When I get home, I throw my bag down and go to my room. I sit on my bed with my knees pulled up to my chest and my hands around the back side of my neck. I still feel really bad, but I don't like him like that, I am interested in some one else. that's when I remember.

"Phil!"