17. Clumsy Me

At the sound of the bell, Ambrosia hurriedly darted out the door towards the bus. She hopped on and sat in the back row. As the first to arrive, Ambrosia dug out her IPod and shoved in her headphones, hitting shuffle. Random songs of missing your special someone began to play. Rose hit skip, the following songs the same as the first. At last, a song about forgetting someone who doesn't deserve you came on. Rose hummed along as people started to cram into the surrounding seats. They all stared at Ambrosia as if she had lost her mind. Not in the mood, Ambrosia scowled at them and turned away.

"Ambrosia, right?" she suddenly heard. Looking up, Rose found a mysterious boy with spinetingling, raven hair stood before her. His crystal blue eye staring deep into her soul.

"Yes? Who might you be?" Ambrosia inquired, noticing the mischievous smile spread across his lips and the surprised yet chilling glint in his eye. She knew this dark boy from somewhere, but could not muster the strength to delve further into her memories.

"It saddens me to see you have forgotten me," he uttered as he slowly leaned down as not to frighten her. The touch of his hand gently caressing the back of hers left a pit in her stomach. His terrifyingly soft lips soon replacing his menacingly tender touch. "Someone as beautiful as you I could never forget." With a burning desire to escape, Ambrosia wished for someone to save her.

"I'm sorry...I still don't remember," Rose muttered. The boy sighed.

"That's a shame... I'm Blaine." Ambrosia's eyes widened at the sound of his name. Her promise to Callum echoed loudly in her ears.

I need to flee... Now.

"Are you waiting for someone?"

With a small smile, Ambrosia stammered, "Yes, my boyfriend will be here any second now." Blaine watched the slight quivering of her fingers as she gripped the edge of her seat. The fear in her gaze thrilling him.

"Why so tense? I just wanted to be friendly to a pretty girl." Ambrosia flinched, realizing he could see through her. "Here. To make up for scaring you, I'll give you this." Blaine dug through his pockets until finding what he was looking for. In his hand lay a small piece of chocolate.

Noting the uncertainty in her eyes, Blaine remarked, "I promise it's safe. I'll even taste a bit myself to prove it to you." Blaine broke a small corner off of the chocolate and popped it into his mouth. He didn't fall on the floor screaming in agony, nor did he burst into a coughing fit like Rose expected.

At the showing of his empty tongue, Ambrosia glanced at the chocolate in her hand. "Still don't trust me?" Blaine questioned. Rose shook her head. "Then, what are you waiting for?"

Here goes nothing... Ambrosia placed the tiny chocolate on her tongue, the smooth texture washing over the rest of her mouth.

"Tasty, right?" Ambrosia looked at him, but Blaine no longer watched her with interest. Instead, his gaze was on the bus door. Ambrosia glanced over her seat to see what caught his attention, but the empty doorway held no secrets. "Well, I hope the chocolate made up for my mistake. See ya," Blaine mumbled as he whipped back around to face her.

While her eyes followed Blaine's steps towards the front of the bus, Jaylen hopped on and scanned the array of tired faces until his eyes met Ambrosia's. He smiled. Grateful, Rose returned the gesture. She took out one of her earbuds as Jaylen sat next to her.

"I was waiting for you. You ran out of the classroom so fast. I thought you were a cheetah for a second," Jaylen joked. Rose looked down and away.

In an almost inaudible sigh, she murmured, "Sorry, I just had to get out of there." Jaylen gave an encouraging smile.