20. What's Going On With Me?

The knock of the door sounded throughout the room.

"Come in," Ambrosia yelled. Callum popped his head through the doorway.

"I wanted to know how you were feeling. Do you need anything? Is there anything I could do for you?"

"No, I'm okay- Actually, can you fluff my pillow? It's kind of hard as a rock..." Ambrosia muttered falsely. Her pillow was fine. She only wanted to see how he would react. Before answering, Callum stared uncomfortably at her back.

"Sure. I can do that," Callum stammered out, trying his best to hold in his tears. He dragged his feet over to his sister, his hands trembling. Ambrosia couldn't gauge his expression, his face a blank slate. She smiled reassuringly. Callum returned the gesture weakly, holding out his hand. Rose took it. Placing his other hand on her side, Callum carefully lifted his sister up. He held her there while quickly fluffing her pillow with his free hand.

"You know I love you, right?" Rose began.

"Mhmm. I love you, too, Rose."

"And you know I trust you to tell me things, right? Just like I tell you matters of importance because you trust me?" Callum tensed under her feeble fingertips.

"Okay?"

"You would tell me something if I asked, wouldn't you?" Callum averted his gaze. Ambrosia, however, could not see this.

"Sure, I'd tell you anything. You're my sister," he mumbled, his voice quivering almost inconspicuously.

"If I was to ask you something right now, you would answer me?" Ambrosia heard his heartbeat quicken tremendously. Callum nodded. "Callum, what did Mom see?" Callum's mouth dropped.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he retorted, turning away. Rose frowned in disappointment.

"If you didn't know, you wouldn't be acting so differently. You just don't want to tell me. I thought I could trust you." Ambrosia threw Callum's hand off her and tried to lay back down on her newly fluffed pillow. She looked away in disbelief. Ambrosia trusted him as her brother to tell her.

"Rose-" Callum began.

"Just leave me alone," she barked sharply, turning on her opposite side. It hurts to move, but it pains me worse to look at my untrustworthy brother.

Placing a hand on her back, Callum murmured, "Rose." Ambrosia flinched at his touch. Though she begged it not to, a small tear crawled out of her closed eye. Callum gasped.

"I am so sorry! I didn't mean to. I'll make it better. I'll kiss it for you. I can-"

"Please leave, Callum. Just leave." A long, unsettling pause ensued before Ambrosia could feel the bed lighten and hear the door close. Another two unwanted tears hurried out of her eyes. Rose hastily wiped them away. She gazed out the window towards the big, open field where she saw a boy sitting with his back turned towards her. Must be Demetri...

The front door slammed. Demetri turned to see who it could be, disappearing in a flash. Ambrosia listened in to see if she could hear him speaking with someone, but being too tired from the last time, she was unsuccessful. She closed her eyes and swiftly drifted off to sleep.

Ten minutes later, Ambrosia awoke stress-free on her side, still facing the window. She tried her best to prop herself up. It hurt, but she managed. Rose gazed out the window.

Back in the field, Demetri hugged someone- a girl. Who's that? Clenching her hands, Rose's chest began to beat ten times what it normally did. They're hugging each other a little too tightly if you ask me...