16. Jaylen

***Just wanted to say this is almost finished! Well, I hope this story has touched you so far in some way, even if it was only fun to read... I've enjoyed writing this, so I hope you've enjoyed reading it 😊

Walking past Callum's table, Ambrosia sat in an empty booth. She laid her head on the table and sighed softly to herself. What was she to do? She'd stay at Demetri's house for now, but leave as soon as she saw fit. Rose may be furious with him, but she did love Demetri. Though it'd hurt her to say goodbye, it'd hurt her more to see him in a casket.

"Wow, it must've been rough," Ambrosia heard a strange yet familiar voice say. She looked up to see Jaylen smiling down at her.

"Huh?" she muttered. Jaylen eyed her dubiously.

"The talk. With Callum?"

In a weary breath, Ambrosia mumbled, "You could say that again."

While she could, Ambrosia took a good, long look at Jaylen. He appeared to be mixed, his skin a golden caramel. Like Devon, Jaylen had dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. His body, somewhat chiseled, did not betray his looks; a four-pack poked through his blue shirt. From where she sat, Jaylen looked to be on the shorter side- taller than Devon, but shorter than Demetri. Since Rose was short, she couldn't tell how true her observations were though. Skimming up to his eyes, Ambrosia noticed Jaylen had a smug smile.

Where have I seen him before?

"Getting a good look?" he asked jokingly.

"You remind me of someone I know."

"Someone cute?" he questioned, smirking once again. Rose chuckled.

"Well, I am not at liberty to say." At Jaylen's frown, Rose giggled, noting how cute he looked.

Hearing a pure, almost childlike laugh, Jaylen looked up. Everything good in the world could be seen in her innocent gaze. He blinked in surprise, a sudden throb of his chest throwing him off guard. This was not the plan, he thought to himself.

Shrugging, Jaylen remarked, "Awe, well that's no fun."

"Why did you come over here?" Ambrosia requested.

"I wanted to finish our conversation."

"Oh, okay. What do you want to talk about?"

Laughing, Jaylen inquired, "What did Callum want to talk to you about? He looked kind of serious." Ambrosia narrowed her eyes at the question.

"Callum was upset with me for being rude towards my boyfriend. I guess they got a little close, which is funny since he hated him only a couple of days ago."

"Callum's just incredibly protective over you. None of us are allowed to date you or else. Besides, none of us want to deal with Callum. Although, you're kind of the most beautiful girl on campus. Every guy here wants you. You're the talk of the school," Jaylen admitted. Rose found herself chuckling. Confused, Jaylen demanded, "What?"

"Nothing. It's just my ex-friend thinks she's the talk around school. I'm constantly being told how she can get any guy she wants. I find it hard to believe, but she hasn't grasped it yet. The whole reason we're not friends anymore is because she thinks she is better than me," Ambrosia confessed, bringing up bitter feelings.

"Well, I can tell you right now nobody can compare to you. You're the hottest girl I have ever seen. Even though I've only known you for a few minutes, you've proven to be the coolest one too." Rose smiled as Jaylen made her day.

"Really? You genuinely think so? But, you haven't even met her. How could you possibly know that I'm the hottest and the coolest?"

Jaylen sighed, picking up on her insecurity. "Fine. What's her name? What does she look like? Maybe I know her already and don't need to meet her."