5. Late

"Ambrosia, wake up!" Callum screamed, startling Rose awake.

"Wha-?"

Glancing at her alarm clock, she found it saying the time was 12:30. That can't be right. As she checked her phone, Ambrosia found the true time to be eight. She only had ten minutes to get ready and eat! Memories of being humiliated for walking in late flowed endlessly through her thoughts.

Jumping out of bed, Ambrosia ran to the bathroom, throwing on a long sleeve black shirt and her favorite pair of black jeans in the process. She hastily washed her face and put minimal make-up on, afraid to show her exhausted face to the world. With her glittery, black belt in hand, Ambrosia rushed down the stairs and grabbed a banana. She found Callum in the living room, putting on his shoes.

"You could've woke me up earlier," Rose scowled at him, throwing a pair of black converse on.

"You aren't the only one running late. I woke up five minutes before you did. I'm shocked you didn't wake up at your usual time. You decided to sleep in?"

"No, my alarm clock broke! I can't believe this. We're going to be late!" Rose panicked.

"No, we won't. Come on, grab your bag. We'll have to hurry if we still want to make it," Callum ordered.

Ambrosia did as she was told, sprinting out the door with Callum right on her tail.

Seconds later, his engine roared loudly to a start. Ambrosia barely had her seat belt on as they pulled out of the drive way, her head jerking violently to the side. As they passed them, the lights remained green, as if knowing the two siblings needed them to be.

As Callum swerved into the closest parking space, Ambrosia hurriedly hopped out, running as fast as humanly possible to the nearest school door where a gray-haired woman was in the process of closing it.

"Please wait! Don't close that door!" Rose screamed, only a few feet away.

"You should have been here five minutes ago. You're late," the woman stated curtly, obviously irritated.

"We're sorry," Callum apologized, giving the woman his most apologizing expression. The woman averted her eyes and seemed to glow at Callum.

"Since it's you, I'll let you go this time, but don't let it happen again." Turning to Ambrosia, the woman added gruffly, "I'm warning you. Next time, it will be a detention." The siblings nodded understandingly.

"Thank you. It won't happen again," Rose spoke, smiling apologetically.

"Hurry up before I change my mind." Ambrosia nodded and rushed past her, not wanting any more trouble.

The two walked calmly to the end of the hall. Turning around, they made sure the woman wasn't watching them before dashing down the hall to their classes. Only one minute had passed after the bell. Ambrosia prayed they wouldn't get into too much trouble. If the woman hadn't stopped the two siblings, they would have made it in time to class.

As Ambrosia strolled into class, the door slammed shut behind her. The room grew dangerously silent as everyone turned and stared at Rose. No one dared to breathe without turning the attention on themselves. Can they hear how loud my heart is racing?

As a loud thundering echoed in her ears, Rose roamed the crowd of glowering faces for the one person she could count on to calm her down: Demetri. Alas, he was not in his seat, or the classroom. Ambrosia wondered where he could be, finally deciding he must have gotten sick.

Clenching her hands resolutely into fists, Rose began walking to her seat, trying to appear indifferent, when Mr. Smith called upon her.

"Ambrosia."