CHAPTER 68

CHAPTER 68

NICOLLE’S POV

We were all sitting there, awkwardly staring at each other.

The only thing that was breaking the complete silence was the shallow and loud breaths of Nick, Blake’s twin brother.

Inwardly, I recited all their names, just to make sure I still remember them.

Across me was Blake’s family, George, Anne and Nick. On the right side of the den were my friends, Andrew, Krungy, Luke, Zelle and on the left side of the den was my family, Jennifer, Robert and Vincent.

Good. I still remember.

Although, I felt like something was missing. Not Blake, of course not. It’s Matthew. I needed him right now.

I cleared my throat to get their attention. “I need to call Matthew.”

Everyone broke out to utter questions.

Why?

We’re here, anyway.

You don’t have to call him.

It took two deadly stares at Nick to make him give his phone to me. I was pretty sure he got Matthew’s number since he’s good in communicating with everyone. Guy’s got the connection, from what I recall.

I phoned Matthew in and after the fourth ring, he answered, “Nick Perez.”

“It’s Nicolle.”

There was silence over the other line. Probably brought by the surprise. Finally, I heard him clear his throat. “Nicolle,” he greeted cheerfully. I was betting he was smiling now.

“I need you here,” I said, not minding if everyone heard what I just came out of my lips. It’s the truth. Even if they were my family and friends, I don’t trust them at the time. 

“I’m sorry. I—I…” I heard him sigh.

My heart sank because I knew where this was going.

“I can’t right now. I’m with Tracy.”

Oh, Tracy. I saw her just now. She just left.

“Oh, okay,” I answered. “Thanks.”

When I hung up, I tried to mask the frustration with a fake smile. I gave Nick his phone back and looked down. I could hear the silent sob of my mom. I don’t know why she’s the one sobbing now. It’s not like she had been lied to for what—three years? I don’t know.

I rolled my eyes. People could be overreacting sometimes. I mean, look at Blake. He was depressed and I don’t even know why. He was locking himself inside his room for the whole week. God forbid, he might have been trying to kill himself. Was he the one hurt? Hell no.

And my parents? Darn. They act like they lost everything. They did not. But I did. Everything that was important to me—my family and my friends… I lost them all. All because of one freaking lie.

I looked up to see Luke, Samantha, Andrew and Zelle. I wondered if my friends back in New York would do what my friends here did to me. I was pretty sure Andrew and Zelle knew. I doubt if Luke and Krungy did. But whatever right? Whether or not they knew, they didn’t have to look like that.

I mean, for Chipe’s sake? Why the long face? And I was just sitting right here, chilling.

I’ve had enough, man. I think it’s time for me to act like I’m over it. Because I’m so tired… I’m so freaking tired that I’d choose to pretend that I’m over it, even when I’m one too many steps from it.