CHAPTER 63

CHAPTER 63

NICOLLE’S POV

Don’t worry. I’m here now.

Even after hours since Matthew Hawkings said those words to me while holding me near him, I still clung to them like they were what kept me going… like they were what I’ve been depending on to live. And maybe they were.

I was lost in them as I sat alone on the couch. I was alive, breathing… but I felt like I was in a vacuum… felt like falling apart.

Czarina Greene was back in her house. Matthew was sleeping in his room, tired.

With the heat and light of the sun, I could safely say it was almost lunchtime. I haven’t had breakfast. I haven’t changed into new clothes. And it just worsened my feeling. I felt like shit at the time.

I turned my head when I heard the door open. Czarina Greene entered, smiling at me. The girl was friendly and comfortable to be with… I’ll give her that. And even within the small amount of time we’ve spoken, I figured she had only two moods: either she doesn’t give a damn about the world or she’s a funny hard-ass bitch.

She walked towards me, and then sat beside me. “Where’s Matthew?” she asked in her British accent. “Oh, you didn’t eat your breakfast. I’m offended,” she commented when she saw the breakfast resting on the coffee table in front of us, untouched.

“You cooked that?”

She nodded at once. “With all my heart. Anyway, what’s for lunch?”

I shrugged as an answer. “Boss is sleeping,” I told her, referring to Matthew Hawkings as the boss. “I’ll wake him up. Ask him.”

She grimaced and when I stood up, she lied down on the couch comfortably like she owned the place. I didn’t wonder why she felt so at home. She’s Matthew Hawkings’s best friend, after all.

Anyway, I walked towards the room where Matthew was sleeping and knocked on the door quite hesitantly. Who knew what mood he’s currently at, right? I knocked three more times but he didn’t answer, so I decided to be an intruder… maybe invade his privacy.

I mean, I’ve already done enough. Might as well do more invasions, right?

Once I the room was exposed, I stopped by the door frame, hesitating on whether or not I continue walking inside. Matthew was lying by his side, his back facing me. I took a deep breath as I mustered all the courage I could just so I could call out, “Matthew?”

He didn’t respond. Maybe he was deep in his sleep. Apparently, I was still clinging to the courage I now possessed because I called his name out again.

This time, I noticed him stir.

I walked slowly towards him, stopping by the side of the bed. I almost jumped in surprise when he faced me. With his eyes closed and his mouth forming a straight line. He looked peaceful. And he looked as though he was in pain. Pain from what, I had no idea. And I had the slightest urge to sit beside him and tell him everything’s going to be okay.

“Matthew,” I called once again, this time my voice was shaky.

“Yeah?” he responded, his voice clear and not husky. It was as if he wasn’t even asleep. I heard him take a deep breath.

I cleared my throat, hoping it would clear my mind too. “Czarina’s here. And what do you want for lunch?”

“Chinese takeout.”

I nodded. “Okay. I’m gonna buy that for you.”

“Sure. I left money on the kitchen counter.”