Dot was a slightly unusual woman aged somewhere between Evie and her mother's age. She seemed to have strong roots of loyalty to the family despite there not being an obvious reason as to why. There was no familial connection and no other reason than the two women having known each other for a number of years. Dot was stood admiring the tarot cards that she often did readings from. The tarot cards belonged to Evie's mother though she had never seen he woman use them. Dot was flipping them and moving them around giving off a strong vibe that she knew exactly how to use them. And though possibly correct Evie wasn't sure if she actually knew how to work them but rather how to make it look like she knew how to do a reading and how to sell it to customers whatever cards she pulled meant and how they 'linked'. Evie wasn't sure that the tarot cards were ever a proper thing or if they ever worked. No one really could. 

"Ah Evie, I wondered when you would be in, your sister came through a couple minutes ago."

Upon hearing her name come from Dot's lips Evie looked up from where her eyes remained trained upon the tarot cards to look at Dot. Evie couldn't deny the woman was very attractive, though she was significantly older than Evie was. That didn't prevent her from having those thoughts especially when Dot really knew how to dress and style herself always able to show her figure off in a charming manner. Shaking these thoughts from her head Evie spoke in return. 

"Sorry dot, I stopped outside for a little while. I had this funny feeling but it seemed unfounded." Dot only looked at the young girl with intrigue, for Evie always did seem to hold an unusual penance for noticing things not many others did. She seemed to be hyper observant rather than her sisters constant state of obliviousness. 

"I have something for you, Happy 18th Girlie." Dot called out before passing over a black gift bag carefully drawn closed using a fine black ribbon. Looking up to clarify it was okay to be opened, Evie carefully undone the ribbon and peaked inside. The bag held two items, a pair of black shorts and a black bodice crop top that had two ribbons that were supposed to be tied around her body.

"They're beautiful, I'll have to change into them immediately." Evie gushed excited to know that she was going to look good for their outing tonight. 

She bid Dot goodbye before heading up the stairs which Clary had disappeared up some time ago. Walking into the apartment she came across her mother stood in the living room waiting upon her return. At first this had left Evie slightly confused as to why her mother stood waiting for her, but then she worked out where she had most likely got her hyper awareness from. 

"Hey sweetie, your sister has just gone up to her room. It's time you receive your present from me you've waited patiently all day for it." Her mother announced before handing over two packages, motioning to the first one. Evie followed her mothers signalling and opened the oblong shaped present first. Resting inside a beautifully carved wooden box was a heavy object shaped much like a pen only with a crystal tip. It had intricate vine-like carvings along the body and was a graphite colour  which reminded the young girl of her intricate connection to nature and ability to determine when something was not right. The second package contained a purple netted bag, of which held a set of five throwing knives all of which too were made from graphite and held the same vine engravement. Each one also contained her initials 'E.M.' which she assumed stood for her initials Evangeline Marie. 

"The first one is called a stele it's a Fray heirloom." Her mother explained and Evie went back to studying the pen like object now identified as a stele. 

"That's so cool I didn't know we had family heirlooms." 

"Just never leave the house without either that or the knives okay, I'd like to have another chat with you and your sister later." Evie could tell her mother was concerned and whatever this conversation was about was important through the fear she could see in her mothers eyes. Her mother had never been one to openly show her fear yet for once Evie could clearly see it in her eyes. It was enough to warrant Evie to stay behind that night and gave her an excuse to not listen to Simon and his bandmate Maureen play another gig tonight, their music really not being her taste. She would join them at the club later on. 

Dressing in the clothing Dot had gifted her earlier, and matching it with a black boxer jacket and a pair of black Doc Martins Evie lined her eyes and perfected her eyeshadow before walking out to meet her mother for this conversation. Her sister had left for Simon's gig after Evie had promised to meet them afterwards. Therefore, she sat down at the diner table facing bother her mother and Luke. This was when her mother opened up sharing story after story with her youngest child. Secrets that wouldn't just stop pouring out of her mothers life. No summary would ever make sense of exactly what she had been told but the best way Evie could even try to make sense of what she had heard was to just assume that every monster that went tick in the night was real.

"So we're sharing secrets, I've sat on one for years now too that I really need to get off my chest before it drives me mad." 

"I'm gay."

Original Word count: 1374

Edited June 2020 Word count: 1828