Chapter 29 [📱]

Start from the beginning

"Alright," he said, moving to the living room.

"Is everything okay?" Macy asked once we were alone.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I just wanted to talk to you and... thank you."

"Uh... for what?"

"For everything," I said letting go of her arm. "You've done so much for me ever since I met you and I don't know where I'll be without your support."

Macy furrowed her eyebrows and cleared her throat. "I—I appreciate it but are you sure you're okay? "

I nodded and tried to ease her worries. "I'm just really lucky to have met you. You're... my best friend."

Macy looked surprised as she opened her mouth and closed it back again. I knew she was trying to find her words and I let her mull them over since this would be the last time I talked to her. She chuckled and looked amused as she smiled at me.

"Remember how we first met?" Shrugging was the only thing I could do since I had no idea. Luckily, she just rolled her eyes at the action. "I was a waitress at a diner and you bumped into me, making me spill the coffee I was holding on myself. I kept telling you I was okay but you wouldn't let it go until you gave me your number and said if I needed a job, to call you."

"And you called me."

"I thought you were conceited. I thought you were this privileged Hollywood royalty that thinks everyone is beneath them. But when I lost my job at the diner, I felt like I had no choice but to call you. And the rest is history."

I chuckled at her story. "Hopefully you don't think I'm still conceited."

Instead of answering, she moved closer to me and pulled me into a hug. I relaxed against her touch and hugged her back. "No, you're my best friend. And no matter what happens, I'll always be on your side."

After finishing my goodbyes to Macy, I made my way to the living room but not before thanking Jackson for everything he's done for me too. It was hilarious how he blushed and didn't know what to do about the barrage of compliments I threw at him. He left us after a stuttering thank you.

I took a seat on the sofa across my mom and turned off the TV. She didn't even complain when I did, still looking straight into her reflection in the wide glass.

"Hey, mom," I called out. "I wanted to talk to you about some stuff. That's why I'm here." I cleared my throat when she didn't respond. "I know that deep inside... you blame me for Sam's death. And I don't blame you one bit. If only I've been a better sister, she would still be alive. And I regret not giving her the attention she deserved."

As if by some miracle, my mom moved her gaze from the TV to me. I smiled at the sight and urged myself to continue. "I changed for the worse when I became famous. The family that I always put first became second—last even—in my list of priorities. I know I can't... get Sam back. But before I lose you too, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I love you and from now on, I will always take care of you, mom."

At this point, I didn't care if my mom responded or not. The most important thing was that she knew how sorry I was for forgetting about the people who've supported me all throughout my life. However, my mom had other ideas.

Because she stood up, not breaking eye contact with me, and wrapped her arms around me. My jaw went slack on my face and I felt tears running down my cheeks. I hugged her back and settled my face on her neck. Even more than words, her holding me again as her daughter, was the best thing she could ever do.

She pulled away from me after a while and went back to her seat, staring at the TV. Soon enough, I heard the doorbell and saw Macy walking to the door. I placed a kiss on the top of my mom's head before I slowly made my way to the foyer. I grit my teeth as I came face to face with my father.