Beacon for All Mankind

I stared into the dark night, chills creeping up around me. Sleep was not an option for tonight, after all training was brutal. The lights were on across complex and I saw Pym walking backwards and forwards. After our talk yesterday, things aren't looking so hot. I decided I wasn't going to get any sleep and pushed the covers back. The cold blew around me but it didn't bother me. I just warmed up my body and the flames tickled the soles of my feet, turning I saw ash footprints on the ground. I laughed a little as I reached were Pym was pacing, 'Pym?'

'Emilie?' He popped his head out, 'Come in, come in! What's wrong?'

I shrugged, 'I can't sleep.'

'Ah yes,' he nodded and smiled, 'I know the feeling,' he rested in a chair and I sat down across from him and folded my legs, 'Why can't you sleep?'

I shrugged again, 'My mind is active, I can't wrap my head around everything.'

'Ah, yes. The doubting. You are at war with yourself over this whole problem?'

I nodded, 'I just don't know what to do.' I shivered and readjusted my shirt, 'I don't think I can do this.'

Pym smiled knowingly and opened his hands, 'You are not alone Emilie, you have the boys, Rei, Garrison, Olivia and myself standing with you.'

'I know that but I feel empty. I still feel like there's something missing.'

He chuckled, 'Emilie, I guess in time you will know.'

'Do you know?'

'Oh yes. I know,' he laughed.

'Won't you tell me?' He laughed again shaking his head, 'Why not?'

'Because that is something you must learn by yourself.' He pointed to me and smiled, 'You're a smart girl. You'll figure it out,' he smiled and hen his face turned serious, 'Have you considered what we talked about earlier?'

'I have but yet I am unsure of what I am to do.' I laid my hands out in desperation, tears flowing down my face, 'I can't do it.'

'Emilie, how much do you care for your friends?'

'A lot. Even Aaron.' I laughed and wiped my tears away, sobs escaping. 

Pym nodded, 'I understand that. You must see the seriousness of all this.'

'I see it. I see it Pym but am I strong enough?'

'Emilie, you know you are. You understand though, if you want your friends to live...'

'They have to. I won't stand there and watch them die!' I rasied my voice and he clamed me down. 

He smiled, 'You are something else Emilie. So caring, feisty and merciful. You are wiling to wipe out an entire species, just to save the few human walking this earth?'

'They invaded us. They have no right to this planet.' I growled. How could he say such a thing? 

'Do humans have the right either? The way we treated the planet, whoo, we did a number on that.'

Anger welled up inside me, 'How can you say things like that. Humans....they...I mean we....I don't know!' I screamed and stood up panting. 

'You do know! Fight it! Tell me!'

'Humans have lived here longer, we have cared for, broke it and used it. Humans are the only one capable of taking care of the earth. We were put on the earth to support it, not it look after us but we are meant to look after it as its our responsibility. Aliens like them are not the ones to look after the earth because they weren't born here. We are the only ones capable of saving it from turmoil. Humans are the only ones...this is our home.'