"At least this place isn't that packed," Christian says. He takes his seat and I take mine, then we order drinks. He always calls me lame for wanting water, but I'm sorry for liking damn water.

"So, I don't know if I ever told you, but it's..." I start but don't want to finish. He's going to be mad I never told him it was my birthday.

"What?" He takes a sip of my water, "why?" I don't know.

"It's my...

"Birthday?"

...birthday. Wait, you know?"

"Of course I know, I'm a good boyfriend. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have a bad past with it or something, since you never told me. I know we've all got our skeletons..." his face falls. I take his hand under the table and he squeezes tightly back.

"I have no bad past or scarring memory of my birthday. I feel kinda guilty about forgetting my mom's." Christian gasps.

"You did not!" he exclaims.

I chuckle, "It was your fault, you know?" He gasps again.

"How so?"

"The day we met, it was her birthday. You had me so caught up, I completely forgot and when I came home, she was crying."

"Stop! You're gonna make me cry, thinking about your precious mother cry!" I laugh.

"It's okay, I'm not really upset about it anymore. She was happy again when I told her I met a guy. She couldn't be happier that I was finding happiness."

"You're just like her, you know? Caring, selfless, and the perfect nurturer. One day, she'll be my mother-in-law, hopefully. Better than being my stepmom... But let's not dwell on things like this. What you wanna talk about?"

"I don't know, Christian. It seems like all our relationship ever holds is question after dramatic question. Um... how have you been enjoying this whole trip?" His face beams.

"Eleven out of ten! It's been so amazing and hectic and tempestuous at times, but that's what makes it perfect to me."

"I'm glad. I personally wish things would start going as planned and stop getting crazy."

"Yesterday was pretty great in that sense I think." Our food arrives and we eat up, continuing to talk about the trip. "I don't want it to end, Jay! Can we extend it? Do you think Dad will let us stay longer!?" I laugh at his enthusiasm.

"I doubt it'd be legal for us to stay any longer, what with the rules of the field trip. We have to go home with Mr. Nolan and Mrs. Dwyer. I wish we could have our own vacation, though."

"Okay, I won't ask. I just... I can't seem to say goodbye!" I know how he feels. This is the heart of what America is all about. It's full of opportunities, adventures, and discoveries about yourself and others. Change is in the air in this city. So much is going on, and I feel so different after only being here for a few days.

"If your dad will allow it, maybe we can all take another trip around, say... New Years?" Christian claps his hands like I hit the jackpot.

"That would be so perfect. I will ask about it. Hopefully he will let you come. I'm pretty sure he'll want to take me, so maybe I can convince him to let you come. As long as you clean up after yourself."