Chapter 15

Pepper's POV:

Walking into the event, the paparazzi are shouting questions left and right as the cameras flash. Most of the inquiries are about Percy and Reyna but a few are the usual. You know, what am I wearing, why am I still with Tony, etcetera. Not wanting to let them get the wrong idea, Steve takes control and explains that Percy is Bruce's son and he came with his friend Reyna since they were visiting. No, they weren't Avengers, nor will they be as they have lives of their own.

Escaping inside, we enter a beautiful ballroom decorated in gold, white, and pastel blue. Tony strides up to Percy's side, somehow already having a glass of champagne in his hand.

"So, water-boy, no one ever did tell me why we couldn't take a quinjet to pick you up." Of course, Tony can't let something as small as that go.

"Well that's pretty simple." Percy starts. "We have defenses around the cabin. The current won't let you land nearby unless you're invited if you approach by sea and the nymphs won't let there be enough space to travel between the trees if you approach uninvited by land. The only area big enough for something larger than a Pegasus to land within fifty miles of the cabin has a spell cast on it so that uninvited people can't see the clearing. Plus, you would have around a seventy percent chance of being blasted out of the sky by Zeus who has decided to use the spot for target practice. So, driving was basically the easiest and safest route for you all to take."

Well that is terrifying and fascinating at the same time. I decide to tune out their conversation on how that all works, Reyna pitching in with better explanations when Percy can't think of one. Looking around the room I see all the big-wigs of New York and the surrounding areas. There's the governor and some other politicians converged in a corner. Most of the kids who were dragged along by their wealthy parents are huddled around the hors d'oeuvres table along one wall. There are the general intellectuals trying to prove that they are smarter than their counterparts in another corner while everyone around them pretends to know what they are talking about. Finally, you have the non-stuck up people (myself included I like to think) wandering around with the various model or actor mixed in.

To my surprise I see Percy and Reyna approached by Tristan McLean who hugs them like they're old friends. They have a serious looking conversation, but before I can get closer I am pulled into a conversation with a senator. Only a few words in, I hear an explosion and the senator falls with a bullet wound in his shoulder. Finding cover, I look to see the team fighting against the villains of the day, which seems to be Hydra... again. Percy and Reyna are helping civilians to safety while carrying Bruce, who had been knocked out by the explosion, out of danger.

As I hide behind a big piece of rubble, I see Cap clothesline two guys who were trying to sneak up on Clint, who was at Natasha's six they fought of at least four guys each. Tony has already called a suit, that he probably stored in the limo, and was picking off enemies from above. Wanda and Bucky were back to back surrounded by probably a dozen guys, while Vision floating above them.

Once there were no more innocent people in the room, I assume that Percy and Reyna will come over to where they saw me hiding earlier, like Betty did, but instead they join the fray. Reyna's dress has been tied up around her knees and now looks more like a battle toga than the formal dress it was a few minutes ago.

They both had metal pipes, Percy's being part of a water pipe about two feet long and Reyna's a support from one of the tables that's about four feet long, and are using them as improvised weapons

They both had metal pipes, Percy's being part of a water pipe about two feet long and Reyna's a support from one of the tables that's about four feet long, and are using them as improvised weapons. Whirling through the crowd, Percy knocks his opponents out, swinging his pipe like it was an extension of his body, like a sword. Reyna's pipe is a blur, twirling between her hands so fast it makes a near solid shield around her, sweeping the feet out from under her opponents and knocking them out on its way back around.

As the two make their way towards the team I see Natasha use the stiletto heel of her shoe to stab a man as she slices the arm of another with a knife she must have had hidden under her dress. The outer layer of her skirt has been ripped off and I see it wrapped around the necks of two men a dozen feet behind her. Clint, who has two handguns, has made his way on top of a table and is shooting anyone who comes near. I watch as he runs out of bullets and flips off of his perch, kicking a Hydra goon in the face, before landing. Swinging around he punches a guy who was trying to sneak up behind him, before boxing someone else's ears. Why do I feel like that move wasn't standard SHIELD procedure?

Wanda was throwing pieces of rubble at the enemies surrounding her, while Bucky and Steve dealt with anyone who came close. Vision had moved on to help Tony with his assault from above. Hydra really didn't think through the whole 'blowing a hole through the wall' thing. I mean it just gave the team projectiles to use against them. Relief swept through me as I saw Hydra's numbers beginning to dwindle, as no more men were running through the opening in the wall.

Eventually Tony takes out the last of the attackers. Standing up, I turn to check on Betty and see a final Hydra agent trying to sneak up on her. Grabbing a heavy serving platter from the ground next to me, I shout while swinging it as hard as I can at the man's head. Seeing him collapse onto the ground, unconscious, I flip the loose strands of hair out of my face and turn back towards the rest of the room. The team is staring at me wide eyed while Bruce, who had just woken back up, came stumbling in. Sighing, I roll my eyes.

"What, did you think I survived this long with Tony without any capability to defend myself?"

At that I strode out of the room, past the cockroaches, I mean paparazzi, and back to Happy with the waiting limo to take us back to the tower. One by one the others followed me, first Percy and Reyna, then Bruce and Betty, then the rest of the team with Tony saying that he will follow in the air just in case.

(AN: 1151 words)

AN: Sorry if the fight scene sucks, it was my first attempt at writing one. We're getting to the end of the story, I'm so excited!

QotC: Where are y'all from?

AotC: I hail from Virginia in the good ol' USA 🇺🇸