Chapter VIII; Dreams Don't Come True

Start from the beginning

Sparks flew off the wand X had only just noticed. By some strange occurrence, a pumpkin from the garden rolled over to them and turned into a horse-drawn carriage. The blonde girls torn and tattered dress turned into a beautiful gown that was a similar color to the old woman's robe.

"Oh...it's a beautiful dress. Why...it's a dream come true!" The girl exclaimed.

"Yes, but like all dreams, I'm afraid this can't last forever. You'll have only until midnight, and then, on the stroke of twelve, the spell with be broken, and everything will be as it was before." The woman explained. The girl nodded.

"Yes, I understand." The girl said. She gave the woman a hug before climbing into the carriage and riding off.

"Her heart was full of light. Why didn't I see it? What did you do? I can hardly tell she's the same person." Terra said, looking at the old woman. X looked that way with a bored expression. They had wasted a lot of time just watching that happen.

"Who are you?" The woman asked curiously. X rolled his eyes, it seemed a little late to be asking that question.

"Terra. This is X." Terra replied, motioning X as he introduced him.

"Terra, X, in your heart, do you believe that dreams can come true?" The woman asked. She had a soft smile that X didn't appreciate. It looked like she was pitying them.

"I do. But I also believe you have to make an effort to make them come true." Terra replied. X shook his head.

"I don't," X muttered. It seemed to go unheard by the other two, which X found fortunate. He would hate to have to explain himself.

"Yes, of course. But sometimes just believing in dreams is easier said than done. Cinderella believes her dreams can come true. I wanted her to see that she is right." The woman said in reply to Terra.

"So that's what made her shine--faith in her heart that anything is possible," Terra said. X failed to see where he had drawn that conclusion from. "Where did she go?" Terra asked.

"To the royal ball at the palace. Go. And when you see her dancing you'll know that she believes, and that will help you believe, too." The woman answered. Terra nodded and motioned to X. X sighed before joining Terra as they walked towards the palace following the path the carriage had taken.

"What was that you muttered? When the woman asked us about dreams." Terra asked after walking for a while. X muttered a few curses before giving a heavy sigh.

"I said I don't." He said. Terra looked at him in surprise.

"Why not?" Terra asked.

"One, I don't have a heart," X explained putting up his pinky finger. "Two, dreams don't come true. They fall apart and crumble into little tiny pieces." He continued putting up his ring finger. Terra frowned at him.

"What makes you say that?" Terra asked.

"Experience," X stated calmly.

"Well, what's your dream?" Terra asked. X rolled his eyes looking away. It was annoying the way Terra was pressing for this information. Not everyone believed everything. It wasn't something worth making a large fuss about.