"Hello Alfred, is everything alright?"

He heard a deep sigh on the other side of the phone. "Not really." His voice sounded almost broken.

"Would you like to talk about it?" Arthur asked, trying to figure out what was wrong.

"Mama and Pa were on their way back from their date night...and..and...." Arthur could hear the tears being held back.

"Take it slow, Alfred," He could tell the younger boy needed to be comforted, but what could he do? He was an ocean away.

He heard another deep breath, "This weekend was prom for the high schoolers and....some of them got drunk and they decided to drive back..."

Arthur already knew where this was headed. He had always heard stories about drinking and driving but he never took it seriously. Not until now anyways.

Then, Alfred went on, "then those stupid high schoolers ran a red light and...and..now me and Mattie are at the hospital waiting for news..."

"Oh God, Alfred I'm so sorry," Arthur didn't know what else to say. He'd never been in situations like this. Especially across the Atlantic.

"Everyone in the other car is just a little beat up. The driver and the passengers are gonna do some jail time though."

"Serves them right! They injured your parents," Arthur said a little louder.

"Yeah...I gotta call you back later. My aunt wants to talk to me. Bye," Alfred said quietly.

"Ok, call any time, day or night. Bye, Alfred," Arthur said and hung up the phone.

___Across_the_Atlantic___

Alfred just felt numb. He didn't know what to do. It was happening too fast and it was too real.

"Alfred, are you listening?" his aunt tried to get his attention.

"Huh? What?" He said snapping out of his trance.

"If the worst comes to happen you'll move into our house in the next town over," his aunt said trying to keep her cool. This was her sister's child. She couldn't let him go into foster care.

Alfred just nodded and turned away with a new batch of tears welling up. Matthew came over to him and gave him a hug he needed at the moment. Then, a doctor came over to them.

"Is there an Alfred Jones here?" He said. Immediately Alfred raised his hand faster than a bullet.

"That's me!" Alfred said breaking from Matthew's hug.

"I need you to come with me, your father I'm afraid has passed away, but your mother is still alive but doesn't have much time left, and she keeps asking for you," the doctor said sadly. Alfred went straight to his side and followed him to the room where she was being held in the hospital.

Alfred practically ran to her bed side in tears. His mother looked up at him and smiled.

"Hey there Alfie," she said weakly.

"Hey mama," Alfred said crying as he took her hand.

"Now don't you being cryin'. Cause you know if you start crying, I'll start crying, too," his mother tried to cheer him up.

"How can't I cry? Cause it's real hard not to right now."

"All you need to know is that I love you so much, Alfie. Try to do better in school and keep being friends with that Arthur that you love to talk to," she said while her heart rate monitor started to slow down.

"I love you, too, Mama. I'll do better in school and I'll be a history teacher like you are. Just...please don't leave me all alone.." Alfred begged and cried as her monitor began to beep slower and slower. She smiled, sat up, and kissed his cheek.

"You be good now. Ya hear? I'll being looking over you from Heaven, and I don't want no delinquent behavior," she lightly scolded, "And Alfie, if you ever feel lonely you got Mattie and Arthur and your aunt and uncle to help ya." She said her eyes starting to close.

"Wait, Mama! Don't leave yet! I don't want you to go yet!" Alfred cried to his mother. The other nurses in the room had their hearts broken at the scene. The new ones had to leave. The ones who had seen almost everything before were silently crying as well.

Beeeeeeeeep......

Alfred went silent as he felt his mother's hand's grip loosen. He had to be escorted out of the room by a police officer. They stopped in the middle of the hallway.

"I am going to go to the prom car's too here, and I want you to come with me. I know it will hard for you, but you'll never see them again after tonight," the officer said to him. Alfred just nodded, and they went to the room.

There were four teenagers in that room, and all of them looked scared. They should be.

"Now, because of your decision this two people in that other car won't be going home to their family tonight," the officer started, "those two people were parents and this is their only child," he motioned toward Alfred.

"Because of your decision you have made this boy an orphan tonight. Now, tell me, knowing that you killed two people and  orphaned a child, was it worth it?" The officer finished and led Alfred back out to his aunt and uncle.

"He'll have to live with you from now on, at least til he's 18 years old," the officer said to them. The officer left and Alfred broke down into tears.

Matthew and his aunt tried to get him to stop crying, but their efforts were practically useless.

______________

(Hours later)

{Alfred}

Moving in the morning....

Message sent: 2:44 A.M.

{Artie}

I'm so sorry Alfred. If there's anything I could do...I'll be here...

Message received: 2:45 A.M.

{Alfred}

Just...keep being my friend, I just don't want to be alone

Message sent: 2:46 A.M.

{Artie}

Of course I still be your friend, but you should get some sleep. If I did my math right it's almost 3 A.M. there.

Message received: 2:47 A.M.

{Alfred}

It is. Ok I guess I should so goodnight/morning Artie

Message sent: 2:48 A.M.

{Artie}

Goodnight, poppet..

Message received: 2:49 A.M.

_________________________________

Oh. My. God. That was so sad. :'(  Anywho, tell if you cried or not (I did) next chapter will be much happier than this one. But seriously drinking and driving is no laughing matter. It causes things like this to happen. Review, and look forward to next time and be safe!